Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He's busier at this job than he's ever been. Ya would think that equals job security. However, if you can't keep the hospital beds full.... Psych hospitals are notorious for having a very fluctuating census. A couple weeks ago they were at capacity and were turning folks away - this week they have at least 50 open beds. Geeze... They ARE a for-profit hospital and the investor/owners are nervous. But, they just need to cool it for another week or so and they'll probably be full again.

Raining again tonight...lightly. But, it's still wet and we don't need any more wetness. Ugh.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Huh that's interesting, we don't have anything like that here that I know of. We NEED psych beds, state hospital is full. People waiting at non-psych hospitals for beds, it's not good. Guess we can ship 'em to Texas. You know, every other week or so lol. But seriously hope he gets to have some stability there, so you both can retire eventually!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Yep - IF they have good insurance. Sad isn't it?
I was talking to a friend of mine here about the health insurance in the States and all the crazy stories I heard about it. And I mean insane, crazy. From refusing treatments to trying to force different drugs on patients, it's scary stuff!

I hope your DH will be able to hang in there and be o.k. there. They threw him in the deep end and he worked so hard to keep afloat, he deserves a good chance and some security for a bit at least. Hoping things will work out for you financially, so you can retire as soon as you want to, or sooner! Heck, both of you, if possible :fl

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Retired-not retired. We stay so busy we wonder how we ever had time to go to work! Of course, it is at our own pace, not rushing out the door to be at work at a specified time. We take breaks when we want, start-quit when we want and we are loving it. We have come a long ways in 3 years and still have some infrastructure to get built, but it is not at the critical stage anymore and we can take our time and not be rushed.

We love being on call for the grand daughters, keeping them when they are sick, like yesterday, I dropped everything and picked up GD#2 at 7 AM so Mom could go to work. Then I picked up GD#3 from day care and met their Mom at the Dr's office. Then I brought them both home and we entertained them all afternoon until their Dad got off and picked them up. One day last week, GD#1 forgot her lunch, so we went to town, got her a Whataburger and took it to the school office. We get to go have lunch with them on Grandparents Week. Sometimes we include the neighbor kids and have lunch with them too.

With all that you have to do, you will never be bored. Retirement is a wonderful time in your life and it is your time. Spend it wisely.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Retirement -- it's tough to REALLY consider how it will be in today's time, IMO. After years & years of a "paycheck" it's a little intimidating to say "no more". I believe the timeline for FEM is being able to collect on her retirement income from this job? SS is my biggest retirement income check & supplementing all is nice but, I could live without working -- albeit carefully & frugally.

I am practicing now. Cash only (ok 98% of the time LOL), consider my purchases, control impulses....that's hard! You have to be able to rethink your wants/needs. I have not ever put myself in this more centered position. While I know I can be fine, I feel some concerns with "ending work". If I can farm provide my food and my animals provide their own extras, I am ok mentally. :D It truly is a mental fight as much as financial.

That's why Bay can feel good with expending to buy meat birds, hogs, knowing they get "free" food, sell enough to pay for the expenses of it. The work to do becomes a lot more "fun" at that point. It is SS at it's best. A little more prep here and I will feel it to be "OK". It's exciting and scary at the same time. My time frame is only one year off. :ep OK, THAT IS scary . Can hardly wait. I am at the point that I don't WANT to go to work. I'm on a teeter-totter. Right now, any breakdown becomes a "what if" for 2 years out. Just my way of thinking through it all. Yet, I know it will work out!!! :)

Mud will be less of a problem for you when you don't have to leave it to "go to work" :lol: I'm convinced. Because we would actually address some things earlier if we had the time to do so -- when your TIME become your own to schedule your activities. Garden time, barn time, milking time, canning time...what could be better ? ! ? (keep that thought!)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have all these plans for solving problems AFTER retirement when I will have time. Hope I still have enough strength, lol!

If I had to live off the retirement from this job I simply wouldn't make it. AND, because I've worked in the school system I have never paid enough into Social Security to collect. Because I'm in the Teachers Retirement System I can't collect SS anyway...it's crazy. They consider it "double dipping." Thankfully, DH will collect from SS. I can, however, collect a reduced amount from either of my husbands if they die. (that sounded weird) I don't count on either of those providing a decent income, lol.

We have a great financial advisor and she's done well for us. We need to sit down with her and see what our total monthly income will be from our various investment accounts. Plus, I'm a saver and like to have a healthy savings account so we basically live off DH's income and save mine. I hope to be able to do that for the next year also. And, my little inheritance helps. It's not a million dollars, like my nephew thought, lol. Not even close, but every little bit helps.

There will definitely be changes, but I think we'll be ok...

It's raining again (or maybe I should say "still raining") and has been on and off all night. I need to move the quail and chicks outta the brooder. They are overdue for new digs. Also need to check on the boars that I got moved into the garden area pen. The shelter in there isn't really much of a shelter and if they've rooted in it - they may be underwater. Don't really want to have to move them back out and then get them back in later. Sigh....

They say we might be getting a cool front in a week or so. Right now it's just wet and rainy...just heard that our area might get up to 5 inches today. I CAN NOT WANT IT! (as my grandson would have said back when he was a toddler)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I can not want it? I'm stealing that line! lol

Years ago, quite a few years ago actually, in S.A. they said if you have R1,000,000 you can retire… So people who managed it did. And are now struggling to survive, trying to get back into work, etc. I think it's a lot more complicated than that and you're doing the right thing, FEM, saving and planning and carefully working things out beforehand. Hopefully it will all work out well, so you and DH can retire soon enough and just enjoy the farm life :) Or like baymule said, work at home instead!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can not want it? I'm stealing that line! lol
He was so cute... I'd say something like...It's bed time. He'd say "I can not want it."

Or - eat your veggies.... "I can not want it."

Another one was instead of saying "Good Morning" - he'd say Gah Marny. We still use that one too. Kids are so darn cute!!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
He was so cute... I'd say something like...It's bed time. He'd say "I can not want it."

Or - eat your veggies.... "I can not want it."

Another one was instead of saying "Good Morning" - he'd say Gah Marny. We still use that one too. Kids are so darn cute!!
That's so cute! Mine came up with some amazing stuff over the years too… I kinda wish sometimes I made notes of it all!