Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow, FEM -- sorry about ALL of it. Some days we just can't get ahead. I'm getting out there to cut fields....yeah, GB says I'm "understocked". As far as using the grass, yes but, as far as winter hay, no. Breaks my heart to cut it but, I must.

Oh, yeah -- it is sprinkling a little. But, couple fields I must at least go around the perimeter. Sunny next week, when I have a LOT of work! :he Can't quit yet. Wanna, but can't. May work a couple hrs in late day. At least I don't have your mud.

Mud just makes it so horrid to do anything, animals & everything are a mess, you slip & slide, you feel crappy about it and there you go! Clean up is dismal. You know, just quail sounds pretty good to me, too --- and I don't have mud! :hide

We are tired.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Having lived with black clay gumbo mud most of my life...….I laughed at the sight that must have been! Still smiling at the mental picture of a bunch of goats with their heads stuck through, the posts breaking off and pitching them all into the mud for a clay facial. I think I would have invented a few new cuss words too!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tired... Yep . Snow won't be long now either!

Now you've done it!! :hide The S word...jinxed! :th

So, TX rarely get any -- you are used to huge amounts -- I get occasional and not normally bad/deep/long. But we have had weather issues big time this year. Wettest Jun/Jul, hottest Sept on record in over 80 years :( It makes me more than anxious about winter. Haven't had a big snow here in about 8 yrs -- that's a foot or more for us. We are crippled for a couple weeks in this area, less equipment for roads. Yeah, I know that's an afternoon of fun for ya'll. :lol: We don't like it. AND...it's a real PITA to feed. You had about 7-8 small goats -- I have 15 big ones. Plus a dozen old mini horses. The 5 or 6 doz chickens are less of an issue. I have barns & feeders and heated tanks BUT -- they do need to be refilled!! Then there's the bill for extra feed/hay, electric. I don't want that. :he I don't!!

Hope all your med testing comes back good. Looks like you may have some tighter cooking limits. :idunno Yeah, you've been there before, just not always fun.

There's FEM -- she's been cooking with controls for years, still seems to eat very well.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After a hot and VERY dry summer, I think we may have a cold winter. We had snow last year and just have a feeling that we'll get it again this year.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't disagree.... As long as it's DRY I don't care...in fact at this point I could take frozen...as long as it isn't MUD! I didn't have the same parasite problems this spring that I've had in the past and I attribute it to the couple of hard freezes that we did have. I'll gripe about it if/when it happens, but I'll secretly be ok with it!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Nothing would surprise me weather wise. My neighbour told me the other day it's going to snow a lot here again this winter. After the summer we had. We'll see…

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I stayed home today...cough, cough. I got a couple of little things accomplished. I had to move some hay from the big barn up to the small barn for Cameo and Chester and the nigi's. Got that done. Wracked my brain trying to figure out what to do about the broken fence. Finally decided to just get into the middle of the mud and prop the fence back up temporarily - at least until, and if, it dries out enough to really repair it. So I got into the middle of the mud, along with the 5 piglets who think I hang the moon (or feed them). They are waaaaaay to friendly (or pushy)! They can NOT keep their noses off of me...and their noses are MUDDY! But, today it really didn't matter cuz they couldn't have gotten me any muddier than I already was.

TGIF! I allow myself a tiny concession to this diet and drink wine on the weekends. I neeeeeed it today. Crazy rough week at work and I do NOT want a repeat. I think....think...that we should be getting a new boss - and it's going to be the one that we wanted! YaY! But, I still counted out the months until I can retire. Just 14 months to go - and maybe less if I cash in my vacation time. But still haven't done the financials to see how do-able it is. Kinda depends on whether DH keeps his job until then.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ooh 14 months isn't bad at all! How is DH's job going?

Yuck on the mud! Good day to play with piglets though, lol!