Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@Mini Horses :hugs So glad things worked out so well for you and her.

FEM, I hope the rest of the piglets will survive and not give you more hassle! They are cute and they taste great, but gosh, they can be tricky animals lol

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Help. Now that I have this meat on ice, to pkg....FEM, do you "age" it at all? Or use fresh, like pork? I have NO experience with this one.

I'm actually surprised that it is as dark as beef. Makes sense as I have red it is used in many countries as their "red meat". It is actually a highly produced meat in many countries. USA not as much but, increasing. Makes sense given the production time between that & beef.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a spare fridge, so after mine was broken down I "aged" it in the fridge for a few days before freezing. Mine was a pygmy so it didn't take much room. If you don't have room in a fridge you can do it in an ice chest too. Then wrap and freeze.

We usually leave pigs in an ice chest (with ice, duh, lol) for a couple days before freezing unless it's ground meat.

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have to butcher a wether soon, usually we wait until it's cold enough to hang outside but we don't want to wait. Do you think aging in the fridge broken down works as well?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I probably don't have the perfect answer - but it's all we can really do here! My guess is - cold is cold no matter the source? I keep my fridge set at 34 degrees so I guess it's cold enough with out freezing.

I'm ready to butcher everything on my place right now. I'm grumpy today. I'm gonna give in and have some wine.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think we will do that soon. He must go, I need to know if I like goat or not. Oh boo, more mud? Is a downsize coming on?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm just tired...and hungry...and grouchy. I'll change my mind tomorrow, lol.

I actually can make it to a couple of areas without boots right now... Four, maybe five days with no rain! Probably gonna end that streak soon … ugh!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mini so sorry about your doe. You did the right thing, but it’s the hard thing. Big hugs. On the meat, I keep deer meat in the ice cooler for a week, draining it and adding more ice. Then I process it.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OK. More ice tomorrow, clean out spare frig :rolleyes: Shame, have more room in freezer right now.

Hope NH & I like this stuff! :lol: I'll report back in a week or so.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here's NH for you. Today's high was 49, the next two days will be near 80, and it'll be 48 daytime high by the weekend. So hard on everyone. Anyway, next weekend looks promising for butchering. .. going to push for that. All stew meat and ground, he's little! Can't wait!

Latest posts