Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's crazy weather kinda stuff! We're supposed to get a cool front later this week and a cooler front over the weekend I think. It cant happen fast enough for me!!

Went to the dentist today - so NOT yay. Actually went a couple months ago and didn't like what I heard - so I went for a second opinion today. Before that, I hadn't been in a couple years. Kept putting it off when DH was having his eye surgeries and when mom and dad were here. Finally had to do it because I could tell things were not good in my mouth. I had a loose tooth on the lower left. No pain at all, but the tooth was wiggly. Couple months ago another tooth started feeling like it was gonna get wiggly too. The first dentist I went to asked me if I had an auto immune disease. WHAT? Or had I had any trauma to the mouth - like getting kicked in the face by a mule kinda trauma... NO! He proceeds to tell me that the roots of my teeth are being resorbed by my body. Hence the reason he questioned me about the auto-immune issue.

Of course I started doing some research. Seems like this problem can be an auto immune issue or trauma related and of course, very uncommon. Seems that because ALL of my teeth show some resorption on the x-rays, it stems from the sadistic orthodontist I had when I was a young'un. Yep - orthodontic trauma. Ain't life grand? Because of this jerk... (who hated me and the feeling was mutual) I am going to lose a significant number of teeth.
So, today the dentist looked at my teeth and told me he didn't think that I had all the problems that I thought I had. Huh? Yes, I have a couple issues, but my gums are healthy and I don't have any cavities and...blah...blah. Then came the x-rays. Then came his apology and then all the same bad news the other dentist told me. But I like him and his staff so I'm going to use him for the work. We discussed all the options, from implants, to partials, to bridges, to bone grafts. We discussed my lousy insurance and we discussed the small fortune that I'm going to owe for all this. Doesn't that sound pleasant?

So, I'm looking at multiple extractions to start with. Then bone grafts, impressions for the bridgework, special 3D x-rays and lots of other stuff I don't even remember. As for the remaining teeth, the dentist says they could last 6 months, 6 years or for the rest of my life. And, the best part is that my insurance will only cover $2000 per year. Gonna start this year and finish up next year. But, the insurance is a mere pittance to what is actually needed. My out of pocket expenses will be in excess of $15K... yep... you heard me. Fifteen thousand dollars...

Anybody wanna buy a goat, lol?

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That's nuts! You can get all that done in some Eastern European countries for a 1/4 of the cost. I vaguely knew a guy here that flew over there for a new set of teeth, implants, because it cost so much here.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, there's a thought! $4000 teeth & a $10K Vacay...:lol:

I'm sorry FEM! I have no love for a dentist....and it's time for me to go back. I have 2 fillings that have fallen out and somehow I'm thinking there may be a "cap" discussion when I go. Fraction of what you have but, still a grand. I have no dental insurance. Old amalgams. It's a winter project. Fortunately no pain yet. Guess my ortho was nicer. LOL

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep - this will be a 6 - 9 month process. And, I hate, hate, hate dental work. I've had terrible luck with dental work all my life. A dentist almost killed me when I was younger by pulling abscessed wisdom teeth. That landed me in the hospital on IV antibiotics because the infection went body wide and damaged the mitral valve in my heart. See why I love dentists? Also had one deaden my eyeball once because he aimed the numbing medicine too high. I've been over-dosed on gas ...the list goes on and on. The dentist I went to as a child never and I mean NEVER numbed a tooth before drilling. SADISTIC! All of those things have added up to create the "dentalphobe" that I am today.

I have one and only one overwhelming fear in my life and this is it! The dentist I went to a few months ago checks blood pressure on his patients and mine was a whopping 180\120 in his chair. Stroke range!!! My normal blood pressure runs about 120\80 as a high...when I'm just sitting around I might be 115\70ish.

The worst part of this is that after the ortho spent 4 years torturing me - the process was set. It's taken over 40 years to get to this point and there was nothing to be done to change this course. I asked both dentists if I'd caused it by not being faithful in my dental visits and both have told me that there was absolutely nothing that would have prevented it - except not to have had the orthodontic work in the first place.

I just want this over with. First extraction a week from today. Thankfully, it's pretty far back in my mouth and won't be too noticeable. That will need three months of healing before he installs a bridge there. He'll also do an imprint for a temporary bridge on the other side of my mouth because next time will be two extractions. Those teeth are closer to the front so when I leave the office without MY teeth - there will be a bridge in place so I don't look toothless, lol!

I'll try to find a bright side and think that maybe it'll help in the weight loss, lol. I'm sure I won't feel like chewing anything for awhile!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
FEM :hugs Ask about sedation when you go in for your procedures. I know they offer it for kids that are scared of dental work, especially extractions, drilling etc. I cannot believe that childhood dentist of yours was allowed to practice… Wow!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's horrible, and totally uncool that jerk probably isn't around to sue anymore! So sorry you have all that ahead of you, what a disaster!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm sure he's not around either - he was ancient when I was seeing him while I was in high school. I've had "laughing gas" and it was not a good experience either...geeze. I woke up from it gasping and unable to get enough air...they had set the concentration too high. How many incompetent people are in this field????

I'd love a mild anti-anxiety med, but have to have something that I could still drive with. I'm not too worried about the first extraction because that tooth is fairly loose now and hopefully will come out easy. The ones I'm dreading are the others that are still fairly well-seated. I remember having extractions before I got braces and oh my, the pressure in your head when they are yanking those things out is horrid! (at least to me...)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yikes!!

I broke a tooth and they had to pull it out. The dentist was really nice, but not quite strong enough to do it quickly. So unpleasant!