Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That sounds like it could have been a $10,000 winner on America's Funniest Videos!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Without a doubt!! Maybe I can toss that wreck of a tomato cage back in there and entice him back into it with some corn, lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Been looking online a little for a feeder plan for the outside pigs... Found the cutest plan for an "indestructible" hog feeder made out of a 5 gallon bucket, cut in half lengthwise and laid on some pvc feet. Big Daddy would have that thing "destructed" in about 2.5 seconds. SMH...

I have a gravity flow self-feeder for inside, but I want something I can leave out in the weather.... Back to Google!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had some STORMS last night. Lots of heavy rains but also some big, bad winds... Thankfully the winds didn't last long, but they were strong enough to literally shake my house and cause a power outage. Geeze Louise! I was afraid of what I'd find this morning, but it wasn't too bad. I hadn't closed the roll-up door to the hay storage and some of it was really wet this morning. Mostly just the few outer bales - so I'll use those first. I was worried about the hoop house that the bucks and pigs use, but it was standing fine. I have two female pigs in there and the babies were huddled in between the two sows. They were dry and toasty - so that was a relief.

Storms, storms, storms yesterday. It took DH 2 and a half hours to get home from work yesterday. Geeze, and our "winter" is just starting.

DH has been experiencing a lot of nausea and heartburn lately. I'm afraid he's about to enter another stage of diabetic decline. Gastroparesis is the likely culprit. Poor DH, he's pretty bummed. But, gastric sleeve and/or bypass is considered a possible treatment in some cases. He already has an appointment with a gastroenterologist so we'll see how that turns out.

His mom is also on a decline. She's 86 and still lives alone, but that may be coming to a close. She had mentioned to him that when she gets "bad" she'll move in with us. He's already said that won't work. Of course, I feel guilty that we took my parents in and that he doesn't think we can work with her. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Your parents were VERY suddenly homeless. His mother is not. So don’t feel guilty about it.

Storms here yesterday and last night too. I’m not looking forward to winter. Normally I don’t care, but I really hope we don’t get any record breaking low temps like we did last year. It got down to TEN degrees and broke a record of 11 degrees that had stood for almost 70 years. I don’t want to break ice, haul hot water twice a day, just don’t want to. Maybe it won’t be so cold.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don’t want to break ice, haul hot water twice a day, just don’t want to. Maybe it won’t be so cold.

ME EITHER :D but seems to happen each winter :idunno The goal now is to have LESS days to haul than before.
It's a pain in the rear....I have 15 minis, 15 goats and 50+ chickens. Yeah, I haul water! Have some underground spigots that I can use IF the water table isn't so high as to have ice water around them. I have enough heated tubs to handle all the pastures -- big electric bill! -- but, at some point, you have to refill. You know how it is....about 3 in the afternoon, you may be able to refill, if you can also then re-drain all the lines. COLD -- not my weather :he

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH has been experiencing a lot of nausea and heartburn lately. I'm afraid he's about to enter another stage of diabetic decline. Gastroparesis is the likely culprit

Crap -- that disease has so many side effects! It isn't "just" about sugar levels but what all is happening to the rest of the body. Praying for better than expected results!

His mom is also on a decline. She's 86 and still lives alone, but that may be coming to a close

He may not WANT to have her move in -- may have nothing to do with your parents. These things are so stressful for the families. Yeah, I still can't get over my own mom & our ordeals and she's be passed for two years now. But the 5 here were not "fun" for any of us. Is she suffering from any dementia or just less able to do what's needed to care for herself? She may be happy in an assisted living home. Sell what she has, use as needed and let Medicaid pickup the rest. That's MY plan.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think it's more of a reality check to know that this house is just not set up to take care of old folks. It's something that we're going to have to face head-on for ourselves soon enough. No bedrooms downstairs, no full baths downstairs. And, with us upstairs and someone else downstairs in a makeshift room doesn't make it easy to keep tabs on someone. We can't even hear what's going on downstairs with our utilities running upstairs.

She may be starting to show some signs of dementia, but also bad balance and an increased tendency to fall. Just all the hell that goes with aging....

She doesn't have the income that my parents had. They had enough money to pay for assisted living. She does not. She lives in a rent controlled apartment and brings in less than 2K a month. The Assisted Living facility that my parents were in was 4K a month - for each of them! Only through the sale of their house were we able to afford that for them. His mom has nothing... It would have to be a nursing home funded by Medicare. :(

Diabetes is not simply about blood sugar...after an extended battle with this disease virtually every organ in the body can be damaged. Eyes, heart, kidneys, digestive system, limbs, circulation... it's insidious and relentless and will eventually win every battle. :(

I'm in a funk. :(