Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Too many! But, I like pigs, lol. Waiting for a bit cooler weather so I can get out and practice my butchering skills. Kinda excited about that.

Today is the fall festival at work. I have a couple of cakes to bake this morning because our group runs a cake walk as a fundraiser every year. Fun times!

Been slacking on the diet for a couple days. Gotta get back to it, sigh. But, enjoyed my popcorn last night. :D

Need to get outside...not looking forward to it.

Sick. Of. The. MUD!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ewww mud! Have fun baking! Don't make the cakes too yummy or your diet will go out the window lol!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like pigs, but so far have no desire to keep breeders. Feeder pigs and 820 pound boars work just fine for me! LOL LOL

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I like pigs, but so far have no desire to keep breeders. Feeder pigs and 820 pound boars work just fine for me! LOL LOL
I did the same until I got offered a pregnant sow and couldn't resist. We butchered her as soon as she weaned the young ones and then raised one of the young ones for butchering and sold the rest. It was a great experience, but I'm happy to go back to just feeder pigs again.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My issue with pigs is the ground recovery time. Bay has a dedicated area, that works. I moved mine around. It works but isn't ideal. I am "looking" at a spot but, not committed yet. Then there is the "how much" meat do you really want?" part. I just put a lot of goat in the freezer, chickens set to butcher next week --12-14 -- other stuff already there. It's a LOT of work to raise them, won't ever process one again, alone. I think I'm good! The chickens and eggs are looking better all the time :lol: If I can accomplish a good 2019 garden I may become vegetarian :D :caf

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got tired of the feeder pigs tearing the pasture up, so we built a dedicated place for them. I am very happy with it. @Mini Horses I always slaughtered chickens by myself, since DH retired, he jumped right in there with me. With his help, we can knock them out! Since you are putting goat in the freezer, you might make goat sausage. I have heard that goat fat isn't as good as pork or beef fat. Perhaps you can get the slaughter facility to add beef or pork fat to your goat sausage. Cut some goat chops and all you are lacking is bacon! You could buy that and skip the pig raising.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I moved pigs today. The girls had done their job in the pen that they were in. They had cleaned it up pretty well before the rain...and after it was time to move them out. The shelter was muddy, and the babies just couldn't utilize it so it was moving day today. So glad mama pigs are greedy, lol! I held a bucket in front of their noses and they followed me right where I wanted them. I ended up putting them on one side of the buck pen. It's higher and dryer and has some grass for 'em to munch on. I'm a little worried about these babies.... they are puny looking. I'm not sure mama is feeding 'em like she should be.

I tossed some Ivermectin soaked bread chunks out to the male pigs this morning. They love it and scarfed it up - only problem being that they all look alike, lol. I can't tell which ones got it and which ones didn't. Except for Big Daddy who totally got his share and then some....sigh.

I'll repeat again in 10 days...and maybe 10 days after that. I hate that haphazard way of doing it...maybe I can get them a little more separated next time and keep Big Daddy from being a hog. AS IF! LOL

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Give mama some beer. Helps the milk come in. Every single person who's concerned about piglets being fed enough, the first response is, give mama some beer! Worth a shot anyway.

I guess it's better than trying to give them injections to deworm! Oh man, that's a nightmare! We have so few pigs we just give them each their slice of bread, or whatever we hide meds in lol. I don't know how people with a gazillion do it!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This was just 5 pigs, lol. Big Daddy and the barrows....but the silly things won't be still...and the goats decided they wanted in on the action and even Cowboy got wormed, lol. Stupid dogs, stupid goats and stupid pigs! I need a better system, lol! Good thing I bought 10 tubes of wormer.

Give mama some beer. Helps the milk come in.
Good excuse to buy some beer! Wonder if she likes Corona? I really wondered if it was because she's so muddy? One of the reasons I moved 'em today...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh boy Cowboy, lol! Yeah mud could probably cause an issue too. Ugh, mud.