Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Why am I seeing posts on Facebook about how insulin costs $800/month? Is that remotely accurate if you have no insurance?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This was lifted from a price comparison chart. (I believe it was based on averages for 2018. There is a certain amount of price gouging that goes on with medical supply and pharmaceutical companies where they actually charge MORE to self pay patients than they do to those with insurance.

Regular insulin
Novolin R vial (10 ml) $116 per vial $0.12 per unit
Humulin R vial (10 ml) $191 per vial $0.19 per unit
Humulin R vial (20 ml, 500 units/ml) $1862 per vial $0.19 per unit
Humulin R Kwikpen (3 ml, 500 units/ml) $358 per pen $0.24 per unit
NPH insulin
Novolin N vial (10 ml) $102 per vial $0.10 per unit
Humulin N vial (10 ml) $186 per vial $0.19 per unit
Humulin N Kwikpen (3 ml) $119 per pen $0.40 per unit

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Stayed home today...cough, cough. Actually, had a sore throat and earache last night so I didn't even set my alarm this morning. Slept in, fed at my leisure, patched a spot on the electric fence, fed again, milked and came inside. It's been cold since yesterday. We didn't make it out of the low 40's all day. Same tomorrow...ugh. But, high is 70 for Sunday! Woo hoo! I really hope this is the end of any wintery weather. I'm over it...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We never got above freezing today. I need a sunny day to hook the disc up to my tractor and go drag the garden.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Hope the sore throat and ear ache cleared up! A day off now and then is good and needed.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ugh - worst day ever! Felt marginally better and had to work all day.

We took 50 high school kids to the Houston Museum of Natural Science. OMG....it was crazy crowded. We broke into 5 groups of 10. We had docents giving us tours...we had kids that didn't want to be there...we had the café that had written down the wrong date for our pre-order, and we had a bus-driver who forgot to come back to the bus and let us on. Not to mention that it was cold as heck outside....we were forced to eat outside because the café had written the wrong date down and we had no place reserved for us to sit...we had a hell of a day lol.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We used to go to the Houston Museum of Natural Science when we lived in Livingston. Great place. Loved the Butterfly Museum. Loved it all. Add 50 HS kids.....ok, still like it. Add crazy crowded and trying to keep tabs on 50 kids, some of which would rather go hide in a bathroom stall....the stress level is rising. Add the café wanting to serve 50 kids NEXT week, but NO, they are standing right in front of you.....I'm starting to get pissed. Add having to eat out on the patio, windy, cold, the humidity makes your bones cold.....I'm almost a raving maniac, but can't show that to the kids, smiling sweetly while angry beavers are eating my guts out. Add a brain dead bus driver that actually GOT a seat INSIDE the café and is toasty warm, forgetting that it is time to GO and we can't get ON the bus, we are all FREEZING, where is the STUPID bus driver, is killing ignoramous bus driver under extenuating circumstances legal????? I'm an empty shell now, the beavers have done their work, I am a lunatic of epic proportions......teeth clenched in a smile....must be nice in front of the kids.....finally make it back, the kids leave. I contemplated murder...…

I'm home. I need a glass of wine, forget the glass, gimme the BOTTLE. Gonna go pet Cowboy and hug a goat.