Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Me too! He sent a text saying he'd call me in the morning. He better! If not, I'm about to band the younger Nigi buck, keep the older doe until she kids and then sell PIA's babies when they are of weaning age and stay in the "little" goat business, lol. I always get discouraged when they don't sell within minutes of posting.

Still tossing around what to do with Cameo's cute little spotted buckling. Sell him as a moon-spotted Kiko cross? Keep him as a moon-spotted Kiko cross buck for myself. ;) Wether him and eat him and tan that gorgeous hide. But, thinking back, I have noticed that some of these goats that have black spots when young - lose the spots as they get older. He might not have that purty hide when he reaches butcherin' age. What to do, what to do?

I'm trying to make the most of my days off. I made Kimchi today. Yum! Definitely an acquired taste but I loooove it. Also finished demolishing the rampant blackberry bushes that had taken over an entire corner of the yard. I suppose it'll be an ongoing battle to keep them down without using some chemical product, but now that they're under control it shouldn't be so hard.

Before the weekend is over I need to get the chicks out of the brooder. They're getting big. I have a chicken tractor in the back yard that's really showing it's age, but I think I might get one more round out of it. I'm thinking I'll park it over one of the raised beds and toss the chicks in there so they can do some scratching/fertilizing.

Just two more days off.... so much to do - so little time!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Why are you demolishing blackberry bushes when you have fields of goats? Lol

I forgot you got chicks. How many do you have?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Why are you demolishing blackberry bushes when you have fields of goats? Lol
Because, unfortunately, the blackberry invaders are in the back yard - Gracies domain. And, if I put Gracie in the house and let the goats in the yard they don't stop at the blackberries - they attack the persimmons and the pomegranates and the citrus trees and the pine trees.... very much a Pain In The Arse...! However, it did make me consider getting some of that electrified netting....but I only considered it and didn't follow through, lol. When I first started the demolition I was throwing the cuttings to the goats and they loved it. But, after they ate the leaves they would scatter the stalks all over the pen and I had to rake 'em up and burn 'em. More work for me....argh.

Chicks - I started with 25 - one DOA and one casualty later so I should have 23. I ordered straight run Nekkid Necks and when they stick their heads out to eat and/or drink I'm noticing what definitely looks like rooster combs. Hope they're not ALL roo's…

Still have tons of things to do today - but heck I can't even remember what all is on my list. I've already given the Kiko cross babies some Toltrazuril. It was the second dose for Lucy's babies and the first dose for Cameo's. I still need to get the itty bitty's done. I wormed a whole bunch of does yesterday. Hated to do it without a fecal but with lots of pale membranes I just did it anyway. We've had enough warm weather and moist conditions making perfect conditions for a major parasite bloom. Sure hoping those Kiko babies grow up fast and reduce my necessity for so much intervention.

The water hose going out to the red shed has a leak. It was already muddy there and now it's worse, but I'm still gonna have to get into the mess to replace the hose. Gotta get a new one first. Always something.

We were supposed to get a cool front overnight, but looks like it stalled right at Houston and may not make it the extra few miles to get here. I've already broken a sweat out there. Even moderate temperatures with 99% humidity will make ya glisten!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh i hope they're not all roos! That would be a bummer, but a yummy one, lol

Your weather would stress me out. Parasite weather and pale membranes in February? Yikes. I forget that is one area I am fortunate, only a few months of bad parasite weather here.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep - I was secretly wishing for a couple of hard freezes - but nope. We had a skim of ice on the water once or twice - but not low enough and not long enough. :(

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bummer, is it too late to wish for one now? We're not short on hard freezes here... been a couple months of hard freeze!