Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh geeze! How dramatic of a change from when you started. I hope you're able to move out of there soon, though I am glad to hear your boss has been better.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not so sure why this one hit me the way it did - but it did. Sigh....

Lots to do this weekend. I Absolutely, Positively MUST find a place to put the baby chickens - grrrrrr! I have to be sure to find a Gracie proof place! I have a kennel in the back yard - but I think the 2 x 4 openings are still a bit too big for them - and there's no cover. I could drape a tarp over it if I can keep the rain from collapsing it - but I still have to find some wire or something to attach to the lower part that they can't get through. I'm sure I've got plenty of "stuff" to use - but I just don't want to.... If it weren't for all this dang rain/mud/slop there would be no problem - but...

DH has to work tomorrow - ugh. BUT - we have an appointment at the local SS office next week. Gonna get this ball rolling and at least get HIM retired.

I've been told that it's beneficial for a TRS (teachers retirement system) employee (me) to make an appointment with TRS to talk about the best options for me. Not sure if I can do it with a phone call or if it will require a trip to Austin. Other people have actually went there in person and highly recommend it....but I'd rather just call.

Not sure I'm even going to attempt a garden this year unless it gets real dry real fast. If I do at least attempt - it'll probably be in containers. I've got a bunch of those big tubs that cattle minerals come in. I need to put some better soil in them but that won't be hard. What will be hard is moving them. I want to get them out of the area formerly known as the garden and move them up to the back yard - near the raised beds. They are heavy and they are in a swamp right now. Sounds easy huh? I figure each one, with the soil they have in them now, are at least 80 lbs and the mud is more than ankle deep. In fact it's belly deep on a hog in several places. Can't get a dolly in there without sinking everything and everybody. I'm thinking I'm going to have to take the dirt out and move it a little at a time - like in a 5 gallon bucket. But, then I can add better soil/compost back in so I guess it won't be all wasted effort. So much to look forward to! :)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Gosh, FEM, so sorry to hear about your college. Same thing happened to my DS's first school here, down in west Cork. TINY little school, less than 40 students and amazing teachers. Absolutely amazing people. I'm still in touch with one of them and went to visit her last year, when I went down to Cork. She told me they put someone in the school that simply poisoned everything. Apparently she's well connected high up, so untouchable :rolleyes: The teachers, principal and a lot of the students simply couldn't take the atmosphere any more and left the school. With a school that small, being threatened by closure already... It's tragic.

I hope things will work out for the best for you and your DH, so you guys can get your well deserved retirement soon! How is DH's eyesight and eye issues now?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH's next surgery is on the schedule....around the end of March.

Up and at 'em this morning. I've got so much to do....ugh. I need to do something to get the next round of does ready to kid. Might have to throw some pens together out in the big barn. Kinda hate to do that since it's so far away to go check on 'em. OR, might move Lucy and Cameo and their kids out there and bring up the ones close to freshening. That's probably going to be the plan for this morning. Coffee first!

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FEM, when it comes time to move those tubs, think about spreading the load. Perhaps put down some 2 x 4's as runners, then use a series of 2" PVC as rollers which run perpindicular on top of the 2 x 4's. A bit of plywood on the PVC, and you can then place the tubs on the ply wood and roll them to where you want them. Hubby and I have moved HUGE boulders, and a chicken coop by using this method. We use 3 rollers, and every time the load moves off the back roller, it is then brought around to become the new front roller. Of course, you will need to move your 2 x 4's as well to extend your "path". It may be a slow process, but it can be done with a minimum of muscle strain.

So sorry your work place is going down hill. I've seen the same thing happen in many places I've worked. A good manager is priceless. A bad manager can make even a good job miserable.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Happy goat moving day! In the mud and yuck... ugh. How are the babies doing?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good idea @Lazy Gardener - it's too muddy to try to move anything right now but I still want to do it. I'll definitely have to try to be inventive. Thanks for the ideas.

The babies are awesome. These Kiko kids are growing like weeds...eating feed and hay and just solid as a brick. Cameo's kids have almost caught Lucy's kids in height...still need to pack on a few more pounds to catch them in weight. But, I think they will. And, after nearly a week of not needing to milk because I thought Cameo's babies finally had it all figured out. This morning she is tight on one side of the udder again.... sigh. But, I could use the milk anyway.

I haven't even started moving day yet. Might not get to it until tomorrow. We have a front headed our way and it's bringing a line of showers with it. I need to clean out the trailer where I moved the Nigi's to...and hang a tarp on the other side to keep the rain out. Our rain comes from one direction one day - and the other direction the next day - ARGH!

Back to it...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh silly babies. Patty's udder is even, her buckling is smart lol! Hope you don't get too much rain! Because you haven't had enough already... ugh.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Didn't move the goats - but I did get the chickens out of their brooder and into a shed in the back yard. I think there are 22 of them out of the 25 I started with. We lost one earlier this week....literally lost it. It hopped out of the brooder and was running around the garage - and I never saw it again... :( I ordered Ameraucana and Black Australorp pullets and straight run Naked Necks. Looks like I did ok with the Naked Necks - they're NOT all roo's lol. I think I only ordered 8 of them and it looks like 2 are definite roo's. Maybe one more that's still questionable.

I haven't made myself move the goats to the pen behind the red shed out in the pasture. The pen has been used for pigs and pygmy goats - but not big goats. I threw that pen together out of a mish mash of materials a couple years ago. One side of it is stock panels and the other side is hog panels. I started thinking about it and I think Cameo would just hop right over it. Grrrr!

:fl Maybe, just maybe :fl I'll sell a couple goats tomorrow. Been corresponding with a gal all day and I think she's coming tomorrow to pick up PIA and her babies. I'm not gonna count my money until she gets here and leaves with them though. I've been stood up before, lol. And speaking of being stood up - I had a guy who was supposed to get the other Nigi doe this weekend. Do you think I've heard from him... uh nope. I sent him a text about an hour ago and heard nothing back. So annoying!

Ok - back at it. I think I see a hot tub in my future tonight.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh good luck, I hope she shows up! Would be nice to be short a couple goats!

Do you have australorps or is this your first time with them? I've been thinking about getting a couple...

Latest posts