Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sorry @baymule, I know you were friends with Joe :(

And I don't blame you, you hold on to that sunshine! You need it more than I do!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Another Sunday, another pig down. From (perfect) shot to skinned, cut up, and on ice - 1 hour. However, cleanup does take a bit longer. There is nothing stickier in life than pig hair- grrrrrrr. It sticks to everything - especially the meat, ugh. That’s the main reason the pig gets a bath after the bullet and before the first cut!

Got stood up ( no surprise) by the prospective goat buyers. Took down the ad for the nigi does. Lowered the price for the bucks and left them up. Think I might list a couple different does and see what happens.

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woohoo on the pig, bummer on the goats. People just aren't reliable anymore. How big was the pig?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You go girl!!! :D:clap By yourself? Dang, you are getting goooood! How many more Sundays do you have in the field? :lol:

A CL listing here has 2 sows, one AGH & one PB...ready? $30 for both:th Says about 200# each. Wow....Makes me think I want to be a pig owner, again. Then, walked out into the water covered fields and shook my head. NO.

Began looking at the idea of growing hemp. :ep Yeah, it's restricted and licensed here in VA. Lotta police and checks for "whatcha got growing?" But a real $$ maker if you can market it somewhere. :idunno Maybe a "goat herd share" would be better :lol:

You know, that retirement income thing. :old Makes you think weird.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You go girl!!! :D:clap By yourself?

DH did the deed - he wanted to redeem himself. And he did! Used a different weapon this time and it was so much better.

He wasn't very big...maybe 90 - 100 lbs. Heavy enough that I know I can't do one of the big ones without help. I'm pretty good at parting the pig out. I got the loins off better this time. The shoulders are the easiest, hams not too bad - but I really suck at skinning! Ya'd think I'd get better with practice... ugh.

Waaaaay too many left out there, lol. But, (and nobody make fun of me or I'll :smackya!) I thought, yes, thought I had all the males separated and only had barrows running with the girls. Geeze, did I feel like a dumba$S the other day when it was really warm... I took a good look at one of the "barrows" running with the girls and he wasn't a barrow anymore. I guess he grew a pair, lol. I'm telling you all these pigs look alike! These boys know how to suck 'em up when it's cold outside! It wasn't my fault! I do know the difference - I promise I do! In fact, even after looking I could only tell by reaching down there and giving the guy a good feel... yikes! The things we do...

But - at least NOW there are no males running with the girls....sigh. Hopefully he was still too young to have done the deed????? I doubt it - I've probably got dozens of babies on the way...:( Oh well, I love me some pork, lol.

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh geeze! Admittedly, AGH don't have very big parts compared to full size hogs. Lol!

Some of the AGH breeder folks do oven roasters at like 2 months. Roast them like a chicken or turkey and get a couple meals. When they get overloaded with pigs or they can't castrate because of a hernia, some folks have mentioned doing that . If you get overwhelmed with little piggies, always an option!

Do you have wild hogs down there? I've heard of some people who've had wild boars attack their boars. Scary!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Roasters sound pretty darn good! I might be having some in the not too distant future, lol!

I guess somebody told the buzzards that we killed a pig today. They sure get the notice pretty quickly, don’t they?

DC216777-97B4-4855-9A2B-668A615ED21E.jpeg

Right before I took that there were at least four or five in the tree . (Did you notice the blue sky?)

Sitting in the hot tub right now because butchering hogs makes me sore. The sun is going down, I have a glass of wine sitting on the ledge, and just finished a sandwich size baggie of caramel popcorn. Sounds like a good combo, right? Not low-carb though.....

I should probably be thinking about something healthy to cook for dinner, but I haven’t yet. Maybe more popcorn is in order.

I have jury duty tomorrow – oh yay! But actually I don’t really mind. It’s a day off of work, and I’m doing my civic duty. The last time I got called I was picked to be on the jury. Thank goodness it was only about a three hour trial. It was kind of fun and a whole lot of interesting. But I hope I don’t get picked tomorrow because I’d like to come home early.

At least on the lunch break I can go to Walmart and get a new vacuum sealer. My old one finally bit the dust.

This warm bubbly water is making me sleepy, or is it the wine? Which ever is the culprit I need to get out of here and go fix some dinner for DH.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One of my friends/co-workers was chosen for a murder trial several years ago. I think she actually liked it, she learned a lot! Of course it wasn't too gruesome or horrific (as far as murders go I guess).

My grandfather got out of jury duty multiple times by playing the crazy old guy, and just saying "if he's here , he's guilty ". And, you can go. Lol!

Latest posts