Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@NH Homesteader - Nigi buck, mini Nubian and one (kinda) Kinder.

Holy crap- Noir had a monster baby....I had to pull much harder than I ever want to. Felt things popping on that baby that I never want to feel. Don’t know if it’s permanent damage or if it will be OK. She’s moving and snorting so far. My guess if there’s damage it would be to her neck but she’s moving.

Cowboy is on guard. Won’t let any other goats or dog around them even though she’s in a separate pen. Really hoping Noir is OK inside because I certainly don’t want another bottle baby. I will definitely start her on antibiotic’s today

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Second baby- doa. :( He was tangled in the placenta that was delivered at the same time he was. So at whatever point the placenta was detaching he lost his blood/oxygen supply. Never had one happen quite like that before. I blame myself for that one...I should've went in and checked for another one - but I was so busy trying to get the first one going. She was pretty lethargic and full of fluid...had to sling her a few times to get her cleared. I weighed the dead baby and he was 9.8 lbs. That's big for a twin! My full-blood Nubians don't have babies that big and Noir is a Kinder. Until today I was pleased that Conan was throwing nice little babies. He was only 7 lbs when he was born and he's pure Kiko.

Right now - I'm tired of kidding season...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow you are having a rough kidding season so far. So sorry:(

Cowboy, such a good dog

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is the ONE doe that I never would have worried about and I've never had kids this big even out of bigger goats.

Turns out that when the buckling was tangled in the placenta that it tore and she didn't pass the entire thing - even though she was eating it as it was being presented...yuck. I noticed a piece hanging from her vulva and put a tiny bit of pressure on it...it yielded a bit but I didn't want to actually pull....so back in the house for some oxytocin. Funny - guess she didn't want an injection because by the time I got back to the barn she had passed the rest and was consuming it. :sick

Baby is very shaky. She's nursed a couple times while laying down. Noir is such a good mother! However I did notice when the baby was on her feet that her left rear leg is totally unstable at the hock. It bends around like a piece of cooked spaghetti when she tries to use it. I've given her some selenium and vitamin paste and I think I'm going to wrap it for some added stability. I've been so busy with her that I haven't even checked on the new pygmy baby since late morning....but I did see her nurse earlier so I think she's got it all figured out.

What a day! If I ever get finished putting out fires today I guarantee you I'll be in the hot tub tonight! (and I'll have a bottle of wine with a nipple on it) ;)

Cowboy, such a good dog
He's AMAZING! I've never had an LGD like him and I'll never be without an Anatolian in the pasture.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh my... not a good day in goat farmer land. Hope that baby does ok, she certainly had a rough start. But you rock, she wouldn't have had a chance without you!