Something like this:

79c08026d3cdcd2ec98c4cb6563f06b0.jpg

(photo credit to Pinterest)

Oh my gosh - how cute is this?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:lol: CUTE pic :love

FEM do you shave the kids heads at bud before disbudding? That does "help" with time & a little of the smell/soot rise.

Me -- who has never done the job but, did shave one I took to have done once...:lol:… me, I am asking. This will be my first experience, this year. Well, may wimp out. I'm hoping to have an experienced goat owner "watch me". It's really sad with all the other medical "things" I've done -- way more intense than this -- that this is so cringe worthy. I believe it is the actual "I'm hurting them...don't want to do toooooo deep" that is the issue. I'm sure after first couple I'll be ok, just always dreading it! :clap

You did good, forcing yourself to get it overwith.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FEM do you shave the kids heads at bud before disbudding?
Absolutely!

I can not tell you the amount of people I have taught to disbud. Even my local vet sends people to me. In fact, I taught my vet friend (that moved back to Iowa) to disbud! They don't teach this in vet school - they only teach the scoop method which is horrible!

Have ice packs handy. Use them between burns. I initially burn...kids scream...I pull back and put an ice pack on the area. Burn again. Same thing on the other side.

I used to burn all of mine and all of the neighbors on both sides of me for years. At one time I had over 50 does of my own....for at least 10 years. Add all of their babies and then add the others I've done for others. I've probably done thousands of burns over the last 30 years. Doesn't make it any easier.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Does Cowboy get upset when you disbud his babies?
Nope - I won't even take that chance. I wouldn't even think about disbudding the babies close to where he is. We do it in a different barn in a different pen - separated by electric fence. I don't want him to ever have to decide between babies and me - cuz I'd probably be the loser!

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can't watch videos :( boo! I'll save it for when my phone plan renews and I have good service for about 3 days lol