Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pretty busy day today and of course I didn't finish everything on the list. But, most importantly, got the four doelings disbudded. I hate it! But, it's done.

We had to cull a young pig. He came up from the pasture covered with mud and dripping wet. Pretty obvious he'd been in the pond. It was hot today. He ate with the others, but not energetically. It caught my attention so I was watching him pretty closely. He went off to the side and laid down and that's when I saw the hole in his belly. Not sure what he did to himself, but there was a laceration on his stomach. It was deep and I could see bowel that looked like it could pop out at any minute. So, we have one less mouth to feed... :( Poor piggy.

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Zenni is great for glasses. I got a pair, was $15 for frames, lenses, and shipping! :eek: Nothing fancy on them no coatings. But I was able to get the exact frame shape as my regular pair. I'm done with buying frames at the optical center. Will be Zenni for me from here on out!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hate disbudding. And I don't even do it, I just hate watching it lol. Good to have it over with though!
I really have to psych myself up to do it these days...it's a good thing there is a time limit or I'd just put it off and it would never get it done. And, my disbudder wasn't getting as hot as I wanted it to at first. I hope I don't have to re-do anybody. I finally got it hot enough by taking a wire brush to it and scraping off the build-up that I wasn't even aware was on there....geeze. Doing it once is bad enough - but doing it twice is just awful.

I'm a bit worried about Dallas...her breathing is pretty fast and a bit labored. It was probably the most miserable day we've had as far as heat and humidity. I debated not doing her - but I just gave her some antibiotic and did it anyway. She's so big that her horn buds were bigger than the goats who are a week older than her so I really didn't have any choice. Really hope she'll be ok.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah, my Walmart glasses ended up being pretty crappy. The coating was coming off about 18 months after I got them. Any chance he was in the service? My husband gets his glasses at the VA eye clinic, the ones we just got were $54 because of upgrades. Wives can get their glasses (not exams) there as well. I just got mine, $228, bifocals, transition lenses, etc.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We topped 80 by a few degrees- but the humidity was tough. Heat index was mid eighties. I can attest to the fact that it was definitely uncomfortable. But I refuse to complain..yet! I’m just thrilled that it’s kinda sorta mostly dry!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He says the biggest regret he has in life is that he wasn’t in the service. But can’t turn back the clock...

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
OH! Our neighbor took a long board and drilled holes every couple of feet to put bottles in. It was on some kind of stand, and I'm sure there had to be an angle when he drilled the holes. But they were able to put a bunch of bottles in there to feed their babies at one time. They got out of the goat business a couple years ago or I'd run over there and get a pic.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think I’ve seen something like that on Pinterest. I’m the past when I somehow ended up with a bunch of bottle babies (temporarily) I rigged up something to hang the bottles in. I need to do that again.

Latest posts