Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
itchammol ointment? Never heard of it. What does it do and where do you get it?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
94329e3f-5873-465c-916d-3d79d86ce57b_1.8225f4fe018c522a24305cabf1d7fc60.jpeg

This is the description that Wal Mart has on their site:

While ichthammol is not technically an herb, it is of natural origin and our version of this drawing ointment incorporates pine tar. Our ichthammol and pine tar drawing salve is just like the old-tyme product everyone has so many fond memories of and it is amazing as a drawing salve to help draw things from the skin.

Ichthammol (also known as ammonium bituminosulfonate or ichtyol) is used by people for drawing foreign objects from the skin such as splinters, silvers, glass, and thorns. It is known to treat boils, abscesses, ingrown toenails, psoriasis, eczema and also to help pull pus from the skin. Beekeepers also use ichthammol to treat stings from honeybees, wasps and hornets.

Ichthammol is manufactured through distillation of shale oil and as such it has a really strong odor of tar. There are many products claiming to be ichthammol on the market today, butmany are actually counterfeits from China that consist of soy. If it doesn't smell strong like tar, it is not ichthammol.

We also incorporate sheep's lanolin for its wonderful moisturizing qualities.

Ingredients: 20% Ichthammol, Petroleum Jelly, Pine Tar, Lanolin.

Ichthammol & Pine Tar Drawing Salve

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And the baby's tummy is nice and full this morning too - so whew!

Woke up to 70 degrees and sultry this morning. Couple days ago we had 37 for a morning low.… geeze.

I'll be home today - using up some of my extra time. I think we'll be getting some rain so maybe I'll do a few things inside...ugh. I still need to work on the freezers. That needs to take priority so I can start getting the pork in there.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yep, that's the stuff. It does smell strong, and will stain your clothing, so... cover any area you use it with clothing you don't care about or a dressing. It also comes in a tube, which I prefer. Check the ingredient list before purchase!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@baymule, horse salve...always got mine in the feed store. Heck, I didn't know it was carried in the "human" sections :D

FEM I know that mom/kid deal is a relief! She probably didn't care for being caught but, the relief of overfull and associating it with kid nursing kicked in. New mom.

I'm just glad my doe with new trips is feeding all three. Last year she had two, clean & up before the last one. Then she didn't want #3 to nurse :he She took great care to have all 3 with her but..I had to bottle #3. Used her milk, hoping the smell & all that -- no, she sidestepped that one nursing. It was frustrating. At least I didn't have to keep them apart. It's a "time" thing to bottle them! With a job and for house milking, chores, etc. :thNever enough TIME. (Unless you don't sleep or shower or ---)

Good job!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Unless you don't sleep or shower or ---)
What are these things of which you speak? Sleep? Shower? :lol:

FEM I know that mom/kid deal is a relief! She probably didn't care for being caught but, the relief of overfull and associating it with kid nursing kicked in. New mom.

Pretty funny now that she will literallly stand perfectly still and let me milk her other side down. This baby is obviously one sided...argh. I'll be working with her on that today....sigh.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok - I feel bad....I called this baby one-sided - and SHE'S NOT! Today I saw her using the other side. I guess all the craziness was worth getting her all lined out.

Got out and wormed the outside does with a wormer that gets flukes. I haven't used a flukicide since late summer/early fall last year. Girls should be slick and fat after all the attention they've gotten lately - but guess what - the Nubians still look rough. The Kinders, however look great. Go figger.

Hopefully this time next year I'll be saying the Kinko's look great!