Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What do you use for flukes, valbazen? I've never had flukes, just curious :) I'll know more after my parasite workshop! Lol

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm excited about your parasite workshop! You can teach me!

I'm using Agri-Mectin Plus. The Agri-Mectin is a generic Ivermectin product. The Clorsulon is the "plus" part of the mix and is the flukicide. I'm out of Valbazen.

I read a thought provoking article a while back about worming practices. There are things I've done wrong. I never really withhold feed before worming. That would be really hard for me to do. So, it did make me think about some of my management practices. I need to make some changes.

https://newrossvet.com/sheep-goats/a-new-approach-to-worming/

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a good article! I want to learn how to run fecals. I don't know if this workshop will address that or not. I really believe people aren't culling the wormy animals and over time that's made a huge impact. It's hard to do, especially when you have a small farm! I heard something about a hoemonchus (spelling?? no clue) vaccine? Have you heard of this?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I’m definitely guilty of hanging on to animals I shouldn’t. I think I can “fix” them all and I just have to admit that I can’t. At the same time I don’t want to sell someone else a problem...which means I really should terminally cull instead of selling .

I’ve run fecals but I’m not confident enough in myself. It’s one of the things I will work on in retirement when I’ll have time to run them to the vet for verification. At least until I get better at it.

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh I am guilty too, not judging! It's also super expensive to cull animals if you find out one (or more than one) has issues.

It costs like $35 to have a fecal run up here. It's not even possible financially to have the vet do them all the time. But the woman I bought my sheep from is a vet and she deworms them when she changes pens, and doesn't so a fecal all the time. Huh... lol

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's high! It's "only" $15 at my vet - but that adds up too. I swear, when I run out of wormer I'm not buying anymore! (maybe...)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Many times an animal shelter will do fecals in house. Some animal shelters handle livestock. Maybe a couple calls around and see if you can get some training there?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That’s a great idea @tortoise! Oh crud- I’m such a dunce! Our college has a vet tech program- I need to call them and see if that’s part of the curriculum. Geeze...

Oh look what happened while I “just happened” to be home today...lol.
AD236E0E-C98F-4FF4-BB8E-5B988F9268F7.jpeg

Took it after I raked the icky shavings out of the pen and before I put fresh ones down. He’s on fresh shavings now with another iodine dunking for his cord- justincase.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh mama is a beauty, who is she? Is Dusty dad? That's a very nubian looking kid!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mama (Spot) is out of Red x Dusty. Kid is Conan's. In fact, I'm beginning to think that he got alllll the does that got got, lol. I didn't put Dusty and Kinder into the pasture until December.

Conan didn't turn 1 year old until Jan. 28. His first kids hit the ground January 1. That means he was out there siring all these babies from the age of 7 months, lol. Horny little dude! I think I might have just one more doe left to kid. Another Nubian doe - but not from Red's line.