Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I hope you followed that with wine and the hut tub! I got tired just reading all that...

It's great to hear DH had such a fun day! Maybe he can get times to volunteer over summer when the weather/heat is favourable for him?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I did follow up with a generous glass of wine, lol.

I carried a 50lb trace mineral blocks out to the barn...holy cow there's no way to carry them that is easy. But, it's out there now. Technically it's for the horses, but the goats slurp on it too. It's really not sufficient for them, but they don't care, they'll slurp it anyway. They also get kelp in their feed, along with some red cell now because some of them just look like caca and I'm giving Replamin on a weekly basis now. It's a very concentrated source of minerals that most of the goats like well enough to suck it right out of the syringe.

Supposed to storm today so I got a few things taken care of this morning. Hopefully it'll listen to the weather folks and be out of here by early afternoon. :fl

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Looks like the rain is going to get us... It's just barely started and very light so far. Hope it stays that way. I was working outside in it until the lightening started.

I was able to get 4 more of the big mineral tubs that I use for planters moved out of the garden area and up to the yard. I'll have to haul some more barn dirt/poop magic to mix with the mediocre soil that's in them. Glad I got them out while it's still dry enough to get in there. While I was doing that I noticed some volunteers have sprouted up. Volunteer what's (?) you might ask.... I dunno, lol. Gimme a couple weeks to figure it out. I'm trying to remember what I had planted in that area last year - or what I threw to the pig while he was living there.

I gave some CDT's yesterday and this morning. Also gave the weekly dose of Replamin to all the does and some of the kids. Almost got mobbed while doing that. Sure makes administering it pretty darn easy - thankful for that.

Need food! I think DH is working up a brunch of some sort.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You have had a very productive day! Now, back to work so you can get some rest! :lol:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How'd the weather turn out for you? You were busy today, as usual! Did you say only one do doe left to kid? When's she due?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The rain got us...we got over an inch in a few hours. You'd think it rained 6 inches with all the standing water. Even though it had dried up enough that I actually wore shoes for a couple weeks - the ground is still totally saturated right under the surface. Yay - back to boots...

I was busy this morning - but I played couch potato while it was raining, lol. Fed and milked after the rain, but that's all I've done. It's been kinda nice being a slug!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Stick a fork in me - I'm done.... So tired! I cut meat for about 6 hours today. I did kitchen cleaning before and massive clean up after. I wrapped and vacuum packed and stuck stuff in the freezer. I rendered lard and … lots of other stuff, lol. Too tired to get more detailed. In between that I unloaded feed, did some CDT shots, locked up does to be milked and then milked later. Had to lock the little bottle baby monsters up in a new pen because I was tired of them peeing all over the porch and dancing on my patio furniture. They are not happy with me right now. AND - I'm trying to teach them that feed is a good thing... they've actually started nibbling.

DH did his volunteer stint at the train museum. He was excited as a kid in a candy shop. But it is a little more physical than he is accustomed to. He had to climb up and down off the train a bunch of times and walk back and forth from the ticket booth to the caboose. He loved it! I think it will be a good thing for him - but as the weather gets hotter he might not be able to withstand the heat. Heat has traditionally caused a blood sugar crisis for him. He drops like a rock. Maybe he can suspend his insulin delivery for the time that he is so physically challenged. He's gonna have to figure it out.

My hubby has a sedentary job. His basal rate is set up to cover him when he's not active. When ever he's doing much physical activity, he needs to suspend delivery, or he ends up having a low. He calls me "the diabetic police" because I'm always reminding... because he's always forgetting. Even riding the mower will send him into a low if he does not suspend.