Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Doc "suggested" it isn't Dupuytren's. She "thinks" it's the nerve issue. The nerve conduction test will be the definitive answer. If it is nerve entrapment the first step is generally non-surgical...splints, rest, blah, blah. But doc says since it's been going on so long it will likely need surgery - kind of like a carpal tunnel thing - but in a different location....and then lots of physical therapy because the muscles in his hands have totally atrophied....sigh.

I need to start my dental work back up - I have to get a CT scan and then go back to the dentist for placement of the implant anchors. Having a hole drilled and a metal screw or 2 implanted into a jawbone sounds like fun huh? I hope I'm over reacting and it won't be such a big deal.

Getting real tired of all this crap. It. Just. Never. Ends. :he

Going to go give some more CDT shots and feed the critters.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
But of course he needs surgery, that seems to be his luck. Grrr! And grrr to dental work!

Babies all doing well?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
But of course he needs surgery, that seems to be his luck
Yep... 'Course it all depends on the results of the nerve conduction test. But the odds are stacked in favor of a surgical intervention. I'd be tickled pink if he could avoid it.

Babies are good...the crazy little critters keep me sane, lol!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Big :hugs for you and for DH. You both went through so much, too much! Hope the end is near now.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It may be as simple as a steroid injection around the nerve to calm some inflammation. How long has he had this issue? Of course, I can't advise.... I've been self treating a trigger finger for over a year now, and too stubborn to go see a hand surgeon!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I honestly think this issue started after his car accident in 2014. He was tossed around so violently in his car that there wasn't any part of his body that wasn't affected. Besides the 7 broken ribs on his right side he was also slammed into the door on the left. The ER totally missed his broken finger on that hand and the finger healed crooked. I believe that started the cycle. The hand never had any strength after that. The contracture part (the claw hand
:ep
is what the doc called it - not very nice in my opinion) probably started 7 or 8 months ago. Kind of hard to pinpoint it because it starts so gradually.

However, the thing that might counter my theory that the accident started it is that he's got atrophy on the other hand also...not as pronounced but it's there. Basically, he's just a mess, lol. But, he's a good-natured mess.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Basically, he's just a mess, lol. But, he's a good-natured mess
Well, a positive attitude sure helps! Could be a grumpy.

I suspect that the retirement will help a lot of things. I know just thinking I don't have to "face" some jobs is calming for me:D Here's hoping some non-surgical can make things better.

Let's face it, some days fighting with a goat is a lot better than a boss. :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The bottle babies are not happy with me. And I don't care - the obnoxious little beasts, lol! I'm cutting them down to 3 feedings a day instead of four. It has been 7,12,5,10. Now it's 6, 1, and 8. They are also in a pen of their very own now. They have a stall that opens to a run that has rye grass in it. They'll chew on hay a little but they're not terribly interested in grain. I guess they better learn. :somad

I'm going to start weaning this weekend. I'll start with Lucy and her two girls. The plan is to kick them out to the pasture - let the babies get accustomed to being out there - and then bring Lucy back to the front area and continue to milk her. Those little Kiko x's need to be out in the pasture area doing what Kiko's do. A week or two after that it'll be Cameo and her young'uns that get kicked out - but I probably should band the little guy or pen him separately for awhile. He's not going to like that. Maybe I can put him and Chester into a separate area together. The little spotted buckling is taller than Chester so they should be ok together until I sell or band the little guy and call him "dinner."

The next part of that plan is that I'll start separating Noir and Dallas during the day so that Noir will fill in the milking gap while either Lucy or Cameo are turned out. I've still got to feed the bottomless pit babies during that time so she will help with that.

DH and I both have medical/dental appts we need to get scheduled. I'm procrastinating. Need a swift kick in the butt I guess, lol.