Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My question re: Dallas... Why are you putting so much effort into saving her? She's a weak link in your flock. At this point, it's questionable if she would even be an appropriate doeling to pass on as a "pet quality". She's likely to be a liability in terms of needing "vetting" all of what ever life she has.
FEM, I don't believe that Lazy Gardener meant to offend. Think about it, it is a legitimate question. We all have or have had a goofy or sickly animal that just didn't turn out ok. Some died despite all our efforts, some lived and were pets. We didn't breed them, they were pets. Goofy, not the normal, just a pet that we let hang around and eat. Why? Because after we pulled out all the stops to save it, we couldn't put it down because it was goofy or just plain stupid, now could we? Then there are those that do need to be put down. Nobody likes it, we hate to have to do that, but sometimes it is necessary. I had a tiny triplet die in my arms while I worked diligently to save her, at the same time wondering what I was saving her for. She was so tiny, so frail, that maybe she had internal issues that I was not aware of. If she had lived, she certainly wouldn't have joined the flock. She would have been a dingbat pet.

Not to beat a dead horse - but I have one more thing to say here. This is the last I will say on this topic. It's not worth my time. It will also be my last public post about Dallas.

I do hope that this isn't your last post about Dallas. I have a feeling that she will be a favorite of yours.

These are printed words. There is no tone of voice, no inflection that makes it easier to understand what a poster meant. Sometimes we get crossways with each other. We are a family, not even family agrees with each other all the time, but in the end it is the family tie that holds us together.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have been following Dallas. I am very curious what happens. I hope you'll update as her story unfolds. Your vet's response made me giggle. So cute. :gig

If DH and I went strictly on economics, he would euthanize every bottle lamb immediately. I won't let him. Doesn't feel right to me. There's a lot of things on this farm that aren't economically sound. Like growing and canning produce - costs more than buying cans of produce at the grocery store. We do them for other reasons, and are thankful for the financial luxury to be able to make that choice.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FEM, you are judging my intent. I certainly did not mean to cause offense. You may very well disagree with my methods, and I do hope that when you voice your disagreement, I hope I don't strike out at you in anger. I have also gone the extra mile to save an animal, who, from a rational farmer/animal husbandry standpoint should have been euthanized. I had a (male) chick who was comatose with Vitamin E deficiency encephalopathy. I reserached the topic, and within 5 days had him running around with his hatch mates. He did so well that I had a hard time to catch him to finish the course of treatment I had chosen for him. However, he went on to develop severe scoliosis, cardiomyopathy, and liver failure, as well as a raging case of vent gleet by the time I euthanized him at 16 weeks. He was in such poor condition with the vent gleet that I chose not to process him for the table. Would I do it again? Yes, I will probably put 3 days into saving an animal with issues. But, after that 3 days, if I don't see definite signs of improvement, I will euthanize.

I value @Beekissed 's input. And am often seeking her advice regarding my decisions to cull or treat. She has ALWAYS been right, and 90% of the time, her advice is to cull. So, I raised the question, not in judgement, but to just put that thought out there.

End of discussion for me.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Problem is no one was asking for advice. And Dallas isn't a chicken.

FEM your vet makes me laugh too. It is reassuring I'm sure, to be told you're already doing all the right things! Hope she continues to improve!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We must all realize that when writing a post that it is not the same as an "in person" discussion -- where body language and tone of voice can be a huge factor in both words said and received.

I hope Dallas is puttering on with life as goat kid. :hugs

Here in VA -- Spring has finally sprung! Grass shooting up, goat kids playing, 5 more does kid in next 30 days, 3 broodies setting, apple trees in flower. Sunshine and nice temps (today, at least). Hope everyone else has a pleasant, productive, happy day!!! :clap

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My question re: Dallas... Why are you putting so much effort into saving her? She's a weak link in your flock. At this point, it's questionable if she would even be an appropriate doeling to pass on as a "pet quality". She's likely to be a liability in terms of needing "vetting" all of what ever life she has.
FEM, you are judging my intent. I certainly did not mean to cause offense.

I'm confused. If you didn't intend to cause offense - what were you trying to accomplish? You certainly were not being kind, supportive or sympathetic. And you certainly were being judgmental on a subject that you are not qualified to judge.

I don't have to post about the heart-breaking aspects of raising goats. I choose to do so on the off chance that it might help someone else in the same situation. I'm not asking for negativity from someone else who thinks they know better than me about how much effort I should put into my animals.

End of discussion for me.

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
O.K. I didn't want to stick my nose in here and I'm not going to, but please can you guys agree to disagree now and let's get back to our usual chatter about what's going on in FEM's world?

I like you both very much and I love this thread and I enjoy coming here and reading the updates and seeing the odd pic. This disagreement, or misunderstanding or whatever happened is making things a little tense here...

FEM, how is Dallas doing now? And how are all the other youngsters? Any more due?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And it's making me a little tense too. This used to be a place of solace but now it's all about people judging and telling others what to do. So, I'll go ahead and put myself in time out.