Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The humidity was dripping
Heat index was 105 today... Nothing else to say on that subject lol!

@FarmerJamie - that looks absolutely scrumptious! I would probably eat the whole thing, lol!

Got 3 more round bales today. That makes an even dozen and gives me some peace of mind. What's better - these were FREEEEEE! They've promised me if/when they get another cutting I'll be gifted 3 more. Yep - gifted! I've got some great friends. :)

DH has a follow-up appt. tomorrow morning. He's sure hoping he gets the cast off of his wrist. We didn't even know he would have a cast after surgery - but it's there.

Tired...gonna have a glass of wine and head to the bed.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How's DHs hand?
Had a follow up yesterday. Cast came off and he's so thankful for that. Surgeon isn't loving the condition of the skin when the bandages came off...there are a couple of small red areas and some macerated skin. Not so cool for a diabetic but not as bad as it could be. She changed the bandage material to just dry gauze to help it dry up. DH changed the bandage this morning after showering and said it looks better already.

I'm pleased to get tomatoes offa the plants that are in tubs. I was sure hoping that the soil/barn gold mix would work well - and it appears to have done so. The tomato bushes are thriving and setting lots of fruit.

My kumquat tree finally bloomed. It was stressed with all the rain we had last year and this spring. But it is covered in blooms right now. The lemon trees have set tons of fruit. Looks like it will be a banner year. No blooms from the persimmon trees and just a couple on the pomegranate. But they are all pretty young - so there's still hope.

Rain coming in tonight - in fact it's already begun. I had picked up feed at lunch today and prayed that the rain would hold off until I got home...but it didn't. So, I left early. :) I love the paper sacks that feed comes in because I can use them for mulch....but they aren't any stronger than tissue paper when they get wet and I was really worried that they'd rip. I got lucky.

"They" say the little disturbance in the gulf can bring us anywhere from 2 - 10 inches of rain in the next day or so. Not expected to be a wind event - but certainly a rain producer.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sooooo, after working fall and early spring to try and eradicate an area of blackberries gone wild - I've decided to plant some thornless cultivars in tubs, lol. Can you say indecisive?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I picked wild blackberries today and they were actually sweet. Maybe the extra rain?:idunno But, I have several locations with new canes and one about 75' that is full of berries, ripening. By weekend I should get several cups and may make a little bit of jam first of week. Don't eat much jelly/jam but do like blackberry or blueberry, oh boysenberry, too.

Won't plant any with so many wild in the area. Thorns but, free.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Rain, rain, rain. Started yesterday evening and by this morning we were around 2 inches. Still raining though so that number is going up. DS has had lots more at his house.

Didn't even go outside to feed this morning...only the bottle babies are getting fed in the mornings but it wasn't happening today. They're off the bottle now and have hay so that's just going to have to do for now.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They are fine.

They'll live for sure, lol. But, they won't believe it! They think I'm killing 'em if I don't present a bottle every time they see me.

We've at about 5.5 inches of rain since this time yesterday....geeze. I bragged about being dry a couple days ago....sigh.

Got off work early cuz power was out. Not gonna complain about that. I haven't been out back yet to see how things are... but I bet things are muddy!