Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Hope your DH will be o.k. driving like that. And hopefully those long awaited lazy days will come soon for him! How is his hand now?

Good grief, that is scary about the truck!! Thank goodness you waited a few seconds before pulling into that intersection... IDIOT driver could've killed you! I was actually in an accident like that with my mom when I was about 16. It was another car that hit us, not a truck, thankfully. Driver drove through the red light and hit us broadside, on the side where I was sitting. Dang near totalled my mom's car.

Stubborn, pain in the rear pigs make good eating. I agree, time for him to move on if he's going to be a headache for you.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just WOW...on the truck & possible accident. Some days we are lucky. :)

Personally, I do not miss my pigs. :D Thinking I may soon not miss several chickens. :idunno Too many roos.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Laser eye procedure got cancelled until next week. I'm glad about that. His hand is coming along - at least he's not having the pain that he had the first couple days. The muscle is starting to build back up between his index finger and thumb so the surgery is already paying off. Of course he can't really do much with it yet. No lifting or squeezing things but he can use it to drive. Certain positions still aren't comfortable, but it's getting there. He was uncertain about having the other hand done - but he agrees now that it will be necessary. He's just not in a hurry...

I also have too many roo's. I went out and found a young roo dead yesterday. No idea what happened, except he's been challenging an older, more dominant roo lately and that might not have worked out too well for him. But, pigs like chicken dinners and I don't have to pluck for 'em, lol.

I've been picking yellow squash and a tomato or two almost every day now. I've noticed I've got two winter type squashes developing. One is about the size of a grapefruit and the other about tennis ball size. Don't have any idea what kind because I didn't label any of my plants. I like a mystery! It'll be pretty easy to tell when they are mature so I'm not worried about it. I'm just happy to be getting something for my effort. Oh....have a baby eggplant coming along too. Love me some eggplant!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He was uncertain about having the other hand done - but he agrees now that it will be necessary. He's just not in a hurry...

Possibly this means he is actually "feeling" more use than he is saying. Otherwise he may not think the other hand would be "on the waiting list". You know men! Once it heals enough for the pain & sore to ease, using it will sure help with the muscle and use issues. Hopefully, really well!

Hmmm--- not labeling is like getting the volunteers from the pig pen. :lol: Tomatoes -- always know. But, when I found my butternut squash couple yrs ago, wasn't sure if it was a melon or? It's all good! Yeah, nothing like eggplant parm. A meal for sure. :drool

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I only planted a "couple' of varieties of winter squash so it won't be hard to figure out...I like mystery - what can I say?

He's not in a hurry because it appears that the recovery and gaining strength back is going to take a little more time than he expected. He wants this one to be 100% before tackling the other one. He kind of feels "useless" being out of commission right now. It'll happen - but likely at least six months down the road.

We want to have the grandkids for a week or so in late July or early August and he wants to be able to enjoy their visit. We will generally spend a lot of time trekking around with them and taking them to their favorite fun spots for sports and games and all manner of fun activities.

Eggplant parm and eggplant pizzas are da bomb! Can't wait!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was sitting at a red light when I was 19 years old, starting my first day at a new job, brand new car and wearing a new dress. A loaded dump truck ran the red light, when mine turned green and hit me broadside. I was driving a 1974 Toyota Corolla and it crumpled like an aluminum can. It was totaled. I was at the intersection of South Main and Hillcroft in Houston. A nurse directed some construction workers how to lift me out of the car and they laid me in the street. A man bent over me and offered to go call somebody, I told him to call my brother, which he did (at a pay phone) and he came back to tell me my brother said to go to Methodist hospital where his wife worked.

I had internal injuries, my pelvis was fractured in two places. By that night, I had peritonitis and required surgery. My intestines were ruptured and my appendix was about to rupture. It was quite the adventure.

After that, I still to this day look both ways before proceeding through a green light. I taught my daughter to do that also.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I ALWAYS look both ways...this was a two lane crossing and the lane closest to me was taken up by another dump truck that blocked my line of sight to the other lane. Only by the grace of God was I sitting at the green light longer than usual or I would have been in the same shape as you were - or worse. This truck was going fast and he was loaded....I think I would have been toast...:( Strange thing about out little town is that the speed limit is 55 - not in "downtown" but on the bypass which is the busiest area with most of the businesses being along the way. This intersection was only one intersection down from where DH was struck by a driver running a red light also several years back. Too many accidents in that area....

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Goodness, @baymule. Glad you survived and is o.k. now. :hugs

@frustratedearthmother have they got cameras on those lights for drivers jumping the red lights? I haven't been paying attention here, but I know in S.A. they hand out hefty fines for those that do. And well deserved too! You, your DH and bay could've been killed by those idiots.

Back in 1978 my parents and mom's younger brother were rear ended by a drunk driver who never even slowed down for the red light. Uncle got killed and my dad had a broken back and ended up in a wheelchair. My mom, who was pregnant with my brother at the time, had only minor injuries. Makes me wonder how many accidents happened as a result of people not stopping :\

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No red light cameras.... Too many tragedies as a result of impatient, distracted and/or stupid drivers.