Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH will take it back tomorrow and see what/if there is any coverage left on it....it's only a little over a year old so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Sigh... I just put a bunch of money into my truck (not mechanically) just to make my life easier. The topper is much better than the tonneau I had... much better! The pull out cargo roller thingy is the best thing since sliced bread! My truck is a 2013 and it's just now rolled over 50K miles. It's still practically a baby, lol. But, I need it to be dependable. It's due for a service that I'm sure will cost me a big ol' bunch of money too - but I'm gonna do it for sure.

The way things re going around here we'll soon have everything we own replaced lol. Might as well start retirement with all new things, right?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH's truck is a 2004 F250 diesel with 160,000 miles on it. My car is a 2008 Buick with 50,000 miles on it. The price of a new car or truck is ridiculous. The technology in new vehicles is way over my head. LOL

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I fully intend for our current vehicles to last us forever. My big hope is that I can continue to be able to mount up in my truck, lol. Hopefully, by the time I'm too old to climb in - I'll be too old to drive, lol!

We've slept in the guest room for two nights now... First night was NO sleep. We can hear things in that room that we usually can't in our room. For instance - my dogs bark a LOT at night. Slept much better last night.

Yesterday evening - right at dusk I heard a big commotion and went out to investigate. You know we're a bit on edge since the break ins at the neighbors house. Gracie was going absolutely nuts - growling and snarling and barking her excited bark. The LGD of course was just standing there watching - no goats to guard in the back yard. (she's on leave right now due to being in heat). By the time I got out there Gracie was leaping to the top of the 6 ft. wooden fence and had grabbed a really unlucky possum. That possum is no longer among the living. She kills a possum just like she kills a rat...systematically going up and down the body crushing bones. It's gross (can hear the bones snapping) but extremely effective. I found a pile of feathers behind the small barn yesterday so hopefully the possum was the culprit....but I doubt it. More likely a coon and I'll have to set a trap for it. I don't want Gracie tangling with a big ol' coon. They fight harder than a possum...

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My truck is a 2016 and I have over 52,000 miles on it - but those are mostly highway miles. I just had to have it in for repairs - thankfully the brake job was part of a "warranty" that Chevy had put out for defective part. I need new tires - we like to get tires in fall so they are new for winter driving.
I bought a Chevy because it was the lowest truck on the market. We still put steps on it to help me get in, but I can actually reach the steps - unlike our old Dodge.
My first truck we had for 15 years, my second I had for 15. Hopefully this one lasts a long time

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I need new tires - we like to get tires in fall so they are new for winter driving.
I got new tires last fall...was about to take a road trip with grandbabies so didn't want any surprises! I could have gotten a bit more mileage out of 'em, but sometimes it's not worth taking a chance. As soon as I retire my driving miles will drop so hoping that helps everything last longer.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lucky you, I have 9 years till retirement ... tires will not last that long, lol. I don't think this truck will either. I drive 28 miles to work every day, and over 28 miles on the way home (errands). Miles add up pretty fast.

My first truck I had the original tires on for over 86,000 miles before I bought new ones. The mechanic asked why I was changing them out because they still had decent tread. When I told him they were the original tires for the truck, they had 86,000 miles on them and it was fall and I wanted to make sure I had decent tires for winter. He couldn't believe it - he went to see what type they were because he wanted some of them. Then I reminded him that he worked on the flat tire I had the year before - when he pulled 13 nails from the tire and the only reason it went flat was because one of the nails was bent - lol.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow - you got your money's worth out of those tires! Mine were original and I changed 'em out right about 50K. I was told the same thing - that they would have lasted longer. But, I just didn't want to take that chance. I don't like changing tires! I've done it plenty of times and it's just not fun...:(

I drive less than 8 miles one way to work. But, I do run the occasional errand on the way home so I might put 20 miles a day a couple times a week. Weekends I rarely go anywhere and if we do we usually take DH's car. His car is a 2014 and is pushing 90K. :barnie Commuting all those years, plus having a couple of years at a traveling job really adds up. But, his car is a Volvo and they last forever!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Several years back I bought an old Dodge truck, for the farm. It had 286K on it but only $400 :lol: How could I go wrong? Plus, it had a shell on the bed, good tires & orig owner (rural paper delivery use). Well, I retired it at 423K! Still started & ran great. Gas gauge didn't work as we could never find a replacement for the tank portion of it. So, wrote down miles when to refill, as we gassed...and reset the trip odometer to zero. sticky with miles next to trip. Hell of a system!! :D :lol:

Spent a total of approx. $300 in repairs during the years I had it. Very dependable! Energizer bunny!