Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks @Britesea! I'm sure he will do great. They're in this position through no fault of their own.

After I was able to give his mom some extra - he came and gave me a big hug the next day. He didn't say anything, but his eyes said it all. It's not hard to want to help them.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Are you still milking? I am, one goat, 1X dy. But she's an over producer so I get gal a day. In an effort to USE it -- :rolleyes:-- I thought of you and the clabbered milk & chickens. Hey, molting they need more protein -- and frig had no more room. A 1/2 gal jug of milk was left out, tight lid. At 12 hrs, curds, at 24, extremely thick top to bottom. At 36 almost a ball at top of jar, I drained whey and took the qt+ mass out to the chickens. Before I dumped it, I tasted. It was silky, like sour cream thick, with a twang but, not sour. Almost a crème fraiche. :idunno So, I have another from last night working. If it's that good In AM, I'll dump in a container & frig -- to use. Tonight, left another 1/2 gal out. Chickens need it! :D:D They also love the thick kefir I strain off the grains each day.

Just wondering if you had used any clabbered milk and if it was like mine is turning out. Obviously, I didn't drink it early on.:lol: But Just had a tall glass of fresh, cold milk with that apple fritter donut -- bedtime snak.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm milking two little kinder gals who were pretty far into their lactation when I started milking them. They're each giving almost a quart a day. I was easily using a quart a day but now that I'm milking two - the milk is stacking up. I was just thinking last night I need to funnel some out to the critters since I've got plenty right now. Might make a batch of chevre first and then share with the chickens and/or pigs.

I have clabbered milk. Mostly when mom and dad were with us because dad LOVED it. He would eat it with a drizzle of honey and never stopped smiling until he'd scraped the bottom of the bowl, lol. He got me started doing that occasionally. But, I've also used it as a yogurt and/or sour cream substitute in recipes. I think it really shines using it in a baked goods recipe. You can also separate the whey and use it for fermenting veggies. I think I did some thinly sliced carrot sticks a couple summers ago. They were really tasty!

Been also trying to come up with breeding plans. I'm already at the point where if I start breeding today - kids won't come until after I'm retired!!! Previously I've had to try and plan for kiddings around spring break. I don't have to worry about it now. Color me excited about that. :)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
. I don't have to worry about it now. Color me excited about that. :)

I know that feels wonderful!! This year I'm "working it in" because the darned buck has made it his job to visit as he pleased. Find him in their field at wake up! Problem...as you know...when due and spread out kiddings. :( So far he's been in this pen for 4 days! Maybe ---- for a while. You know the feeling!!!

Remembered you had said your dad loved the clabber, so felt you would have some ideas. I tasted it with fresh strawberries...pretty good, almost like yogurt. Yep, substitute for sour cream. What we DO to use up milk -- and often eggs. :D Anyway, the clabber required nothing from me to make. :clap A winner. Will have to check out the whey use.

Beginning of work week for you...sorry, but only a short timt to go!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pudding sounds so good!!

I'm thinking quiche, bread pudding :drool

Hens are laying but, some half naked, some just starting molt and eggs sporadic. :D Heck I found one who is setting!!! Talk about confused -- she isn't sure what to do. :idunno One scraggly tail feather on a roo is laughable. He's embarrassed.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Holy Crapoly - My day did not start well. Went outside to find Maddie hanging by a foot from the fence she had jumped. Thankfully, she's tall enough that her front feet were on the ground supporting her - but that back leg was truly stuck. Her method of jumping is more of a "launch yourself at the top of the fence and then push off of it to complete the jump." This gate is temporary and made from two panels with 2 x 4 openings and they overlap. When she pushed off the top of the gate her foot went through the 2x4 opening of the back section of panel. Hard to explain...but it was over one fence support and under the other and on the wrong side of the fence. Had she not been able to catch herself with her front legs the back leg would have snapped right above the paw.

I was outside before dawn and have no idea how long she'd been there....but I don't think very long. I think she must've been trying to come up to the porch when she heard me heading out the back door. If she'd been there very long the foot would have lost circulation and it was nice and warm.

However, I didn't think I was EVER going to get her out of there. She's about 120 lbs and she wasn't cooperating at all. In fact, at one point she had swiveled her body around until I thought she would pop her hip out of joint. Thankfully, because it is a temporary gate I was able to dismantle it. That's the ONLY way she was coming out of there. Geeze louise! She got out and immediately stretched out on the ground - not walking. I let her stay there while I did my morning chores. I called her and she wouldn't get up...so I got a lead and clipped it to her. She followed fairly willingly after that - just barely favoring the leg. At a walk she didn't favor it at all - only when she started trotting up to the porch.

So glad she's unhurt and hope she'll stop jumping the stupid gate!

Last edited: