Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, this would surely impact his heart functioning as well. As we age our tissues loose muscle and become lax -- have you noticed? :D -- then fat cells just move around into places we don't want them.:lol: It's cruel! It happens!! We are victims!!

Even thin people have these body changes.

But, after this surgery, there would be a controlled food intake. Volume mostly but, I'm thinking that the composition of foods would be to assure the proper nutrition was there.

Helping with multiple health issues at one time -- sounds like an option to consider. No doubt you have researched the pros/cons to death -- I would -- because once done, it's done!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
because once done, it's done!
You are right about that. One of my girlfriends/coworkers has had this procedure. She's about 9months out and is doing really well. Said she'd do it over again. She was approximately 200 lbs overweight - so it was really important for her to get it under control. She was one who had been recently diagnosed as diabetic. It was the major impetus for her to go ahead with it. She went in diabetic - within 48 hours didn't need diabetic medication anymore. But, this surgery has a much more profound effect on folks who haven't been diabetic for very long. I want her to talk to DH about her journey - even though he's about 90% certain that he will do it.

Got to get outside this morning and get everything fed and taken care of. We will be at DS's later today for the Texans game. I'll be making my almost famous bacon cheeseburger sliders. Soooo good, but not low carb in any way.

Waiting on that first cool front. I've got major butchering to do. Pigs, chickens, goats...
So looking forward to getting the first wether in the freezer. I haven't had goat meat in quie awhile and I WANT me some, lol. Thinking of investing in a good meat grinder. Need to ask the neighbor what kind he has. I can envision making our own sausage of home grown goat/pork. Yum! Need to go look at recipes.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You butcher your own goats? I can butcher hogs, chickens, wild game......but I just can't look at that lamb's face and kill it. If I had to, I would. But for $85 I don't have to. Baymule…...tough ol' gal that can tackle anything.....just a big softie......just can't do it.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's never easy - but I do. For me - once it's dead, it's meat, and I'm able to get to the business at hand. DH usually does the deed. But, I've shot pigs for eatin'. And, I've shot goats - but it was to end their suffering. I've never shot a goat to butcher. I think as long as I don't have to do the goat shootin' - I'll just let DH do it.

The last time I was at our slaughter house with a pig I asked how they do the deed. Pigs they shoot - but not goats. They don't shoot or stun - they just cut their throat. I know that's the way it's done in a lot of places - and it's even the way I do chickens. But, I can't do a goat that way. I need them to go quickly - I owe them that.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In Halal butchering they do the calm, prayer, throat...

The only one of mine that I've used for meat was shot by a neighbor for me. She was a jumper and thinking she could fly, tried a 5' CP, got hung up and broke leg at ankle. Compound fracture. Once I found & checked her, I made the decision to butcher. A Saturday and no one would take her. My deer hunter/butcherer neighbor did this for me. Broke my heart as she was beautiful, ready to breed that year at 2 y/o. :idunno I made the decision to not waste what I had grown. Was prepared to shoot if I HAD to but, wanted that done by another. :( This guy skinned and gutted, cut into sections, was all set up for it. I packed in ice, did rest here.

They SAY, slitting throat is humane as (if calm) they bleed out fast and it is not so stressful on them. I will never know.

Butchering is difficult emotionally, no matter how we plan and pray and know where meat comes from, their good life, etc. Just what we need to do. Takes me a few days to get my mindset to do chickens! :eek::(

With roos, I'm like FEM, then it's just meat. Messy but, meat. Loading the hogs & pick up full carcass was ok.

I have a couple goats here that will never be on my plate and can stay as long as I have a farm and they have breath. :love

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In theory - Halal is supposed to be peaceful. In reality - I don't think it always works that way. I've watched videos where things didn't go so well. Also have talked to folks who slit throats hoping for that peaceful end and it just didn't work for them.

I saw a u-tube video once where a woman bopped her goat in the head with a mini-sledge hammer. It wasn't hard enough to kill him - but it stunned him and he dropped. She slit his throat immediately. It actually seemed fairly peaceful. She had done it that way before and I guess knew just how much pressure was needed by the hammer. It seriously wasn't that much - but I'd have a hard time hitting one of my animals. Gun it is for me. I do slit the throat as soon as they go down so we get pretty good bleeding anyway.

I'm like you - I have some animals that will never be on my plate. Just can't do it!

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only softie here. :) I could butcher a lamb if someone else killed it, but I sure wouldn't want to kill it.

I agree on the special animals. They have earned their places and deserve to live out their days and have a decent burial while we sniffle and cry over their loss.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
hey @Fem... the gastric sleeve thing. The reason it cures diabetes is because it is medically enforced fasting. If he will fast by choice, no need for surgery. Dr. Fung is a nephrologist who was treating diabetes patients during organ failure. He's now reversing / curing diabetes with fasting. He has a lot of videos on youtube and several books. The Diabetes Code is one of the books.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The reason it cures diabetes is because it is medically enforced fasting.
It definitely IS! I also read that it removes the portion of the stomach responsible for producing ghrelin - which is the hormone responsible for stimulating your appetite.

The other part of the equation is that he's on insulin....lots of insulin. It's practically impossible to lose weight if you are taking the correct amount of insulin. Not saying it can't be done but if he (we) had the self-discipline to do it - it wouldn't be an issue.

He's practically at the point of no return with his health. So, I think it's do or die time - literally.