Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep, wearing gloves when I excavate them. And a sledge hammer to crack them open :D

DH's family used to spread them out on the concrete driveway, put a big piece of plywood on top, and DRIVE onto them. Apparently the weight of the car is enough to crack most of them.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Still waiting on our cool front... I want to plant some rye and other grass/forbs but I need to keep the critters off of it. I guess I'll hook up the trailer and run up to TSC and grab a few more panels. Wonder if the goats and pigs can get along together for awhile so the grass can get a head start? Maybe I better just get more panels so I can separate them all from each other. One can always use more panels right? Or maybe I can just use a couple of strands of electric to keep the hogs in an area just for them. Maybe...

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mmmmmmmmmmm - smells good in my house. I had a batch of apple butter in the crock pot all night. I have another batch going and fixing to start peeling apples again to fill up the second crock pot. It amazes me that I can fill the crockpot totally full and after 10 hours or so it's reduced to nothing but concentrated flavor. I put lots of cinnamon and a few other spiced in it and it's definitely delish.

About to attack the freezers to make room for the much anticipated butchering coming up next weekend. IF (and I'm feeling fairly confident) it will actually cool down like "they" say it will - butchering will commence. Yay! I'm tired of being sweaty and stinky after just a few minutes outside. Back to it...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Didn't get to the freezers. Stayed busy with apple butter fixin' today and then went to DS's for dinner. His in-laws were there also and we enjoy their company. We'll all be going back tomorrow to watch the Texans game together. We had smoked brisket and ribs for dinner and I've got the leftovers that I'll turn into chopped beef sandwiches for game time lunch.

I'll be taking DS and his in-laws some apple butter tomorrow along with the chopped beef. I need to share all this apple bounty, lol. I tried another apple experiment a couple days ago. I sliced an apple very thinly and put it into a quart jar....added a cinnamon stick and then filled the quart jar up with vodka. Put that in the fridge for 48 hours, shaking it every time I opened the fridge. Tonight I took out the apple slices and cinnamon stick and filled the space in the jar with simple syrup - thus creating apple pie flavored vodka. Oh. My. Goodness! That stuff is good - but I drink very little hard liquor. I'll be taking that to DS's tomorrow too so that it can be distributed to those who choose to imbibe.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So sick of apple butter, lol. I've canned 22 half-pints so far along with putting several quarts in the freezer. I would loved to have canned up some chunks or slices for pie, tarts or pan dowdy dishes - but we don't really eat those. I've got so many apples left but they're about to be pig food. I just have a hard time tossing the good ones out for animal food. Maybe just some applesauce next?

Went to DS's to watch the football game. Our Texans had a commanding win. Yay! Needed to do more than I did today but I'm tired. I've got some feed that needs to be unloaded and then I'll tuck the critters in for the night and may call it an early night myself.

We're supposed to get a cool front headed this way tomorrow. Can you say relief?!!! Not going to be cold - but less humidity and a bit lower temps. I'll take it!