Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My freezer is looking mighty bare. Yesterday morning DH said he was going to set something from the freezer out to thaw for dinner last night. He asked me what I wanted him to set out and I said I didn't care - I'd make something out of whatever he chose. I got home from work and there was a Ziploc bag of pig fat sitting on the counter. This man had set out a bag of fat that I intended to render but hadn't got to it yet! :lol: I had popcorn for dinner...don't know what he had.

I neeeeed a cool front so I can get some butchering done. I saw a great deal on Craigslist today that I'm probably going to respond to. Need to work out the timing. The listing was for reject fair chickens. These are Cornish cross raised for fairs that didn't make the sale. The price is $5.00 for medium-ish and $8.00 for the big ones. I can't raise 'em for that. Gonna talk to DH and see if he wants to make a drive tomorrow. They are an hour away though...but still worth it I think.

And, then there's Jumping Jack Flash. He is a wether from this springs batch of kids. He is a royal pain in my a$$. I need him gone. He jumps fences and goes wherever he wants. He practically knocks me down sticking his head into the bucket when I go feed and he's obnoxious with the other goats. He needs to live in my freezer! I can't wait to get a bite of him, lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Missed out on the fair chickens - but that's ok. Wasn't meant to be. However, I've got 5 goats that need doing. I'll start with two when our cool front finally gets here. Then I'll do two more probably in January. Not sure when I'll get the 5th done - might list him for sale. Then pigs. Gonna start on them too...looks like I'll be doing nothing but butchering for awhile.... ugh.

Got a bonus batch of reject apples today from the food pantry. Probably at least 150 lbs of Red Delicious apples. I just got 'em all inside and separated good from bad. Already sick of apples, lol. But, the majority of them are good. If there were any bad ones in the bag - they get rid of the whole bag. I've washed and put a bunch in the fridge already. Still probably have about 25 lbs to go, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with all of them. Red Delicious aren't my favorite eating apple or preserving apple so.... maybe dehydrate a bunch. I'll try a small batch of apple butter and see how that turns out before I put a lot of time and energy into it. But, I was gifted them for the pigs and they're not picky, lol. They'll eat anything!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have two crockpots going with prospective apple butter....one sugared and one sugar-free. Also have the dehydrator loaded. AND - pigs are loving the blemished ones. About to take a bucket of peels and cores out to them for their second breakfast and then come in and find something edible for me.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Goats like apples :hide

Fried up for breakfast? Slice & freeze a few for cooking with that pork your going to butcher .. onions, apples, pork = yummy!

Yesterday, I stopped quickly as I rounded a curve on a back road and saw what I THOUGHT were apples all along the road. Backed up -- not going to miss free apples! -- get out and find they are black walnuts. :( LOADS of them. Well, I grabbed a few -- enough to make a cake. Went on my way, slightly disappointed. And those are expensive nuts to buy! Also, a real mess to clean and you don't want those big old nasty coverings left around for a horse or goat to eat. :old Yep, wearing gloves when I excavate them. And a sledge hammer to crack them open :D

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Goats like apples :hide
Goats definitely get their share. Some love 'em, and some turn their nose up and walk away. Between the chickens, goats, pigs, and dogs - yes dogs - there is nary a scrap left after I throw a huge bucket out. Same with potatoes - everything eats 'em.

Cooked a whole crockpot full of apple chunks down to about 4 pints, lol. My first time making it so I wasn't quite prepared for how much they reduce! But, it's good. So good! :drool I'm not canning this batch - just too tired tonight. But, I heated up the jars and the seals and put the hot butter in 'em, and they all pulled a seal. I'll still store 'em in the fridge though...just think it's the best idea. Might just freeze the next batch. :idunno

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Of course freezing is faster :rolleyes: but, put it in baggies so you can flatten it into patties. Stacks well. Thaws faster. I'm sure you KNOW this but....came to my feeble mind.

You know, something I forget about. When you portion and vac seal, you can heat that in boiling water and serve. No pot to clean, just dry it. :D Rarely do I remember to do that. :lol:

This is a nice Chardonnay...:D Have some.

Latest posts