Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol - I'm the one that got them given to me! The college where I work runs a food pantry for our students in need. It just started back up at the beginning of the fall semester and somebody got apple happy. Generally we don't get to pick what food we get - we are at the mercy of the "mother" food bank in Houston. We got apples the first week - we got apples the second week and we got apples again. Nobody wanted any more apples. None of the students and none of the staff wanted to look at another apple! When fruit/veggies start to go 'off' they call me and I haul it away. This time the majority of the apples were still in good shape so I just couldn't feed the good ones to the pigs. However, they have certainly enjoyed the peels/cores. I'll take some of the bounty back to the school for the folks who gave it to me. I've still got enough good apples to make another large batch.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not here! This is Texas! LOL LOL
It is a very rare apple tree that grows this far south...:(

Having said that - my next door neighbor has two of them in his front yard. They occasionally set an apple or two -but they never make it to harvest.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just have a hard time tossing the good ones out for animal food.

They keep a long time in frig.

Of course, with your heat, you won't be able to keep the "old" way...wrapped in paper and stacked in a box -- in the cellar. Not cool, no cellar...sorry...:lol:

You may not have apples grow well BUT -- citrus? Avocados? :D

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Meyer lemons do extremely well here - as do kumquats. I have 4 trees and an overabundance of lemons ripening right now. I'm excited about that! I also have an orange tree in the ground, but only planted it last year. Still waiting for it to decide what it wants to do.

No avocados - even though I had a co-worker that had one. It would set fruit but would usually drop it before maturity. Figs - yes! Apples - no. I had pear trees years ago but blight got 'em. Some plums do ok. Blackberries and dew berries grow wild. Blueberries are a challenge even though my mother had great luck with them - I don't.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Too dry & too hot....maybe?

It's a bummer. I figured those two would grow...FL and Mexico have plenty.:D
Just thought you all were "kinda, sorta" same type weather. :idunno

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm just far enough north that citrus, tropical fruits won't do well here. It gets just cold enough, just long enough that they don't survive.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'd love to have a couple peach trees. There are several cultivars that are the low-chill variety. Maybe a couple of plum trees too. I'd definitely need a goat proof place to plant them, lol. I'm tempted to get some and plant this fall.