Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After a lifetime of rushing about in overdrive, working, raising kids, working, farming, butchering, working, cooking supper when you really didn’t want to and getting up early to go to work, YOU AIN’T GOTTA DO THAT NO MORE! No more rushing about. Skip going to work and raising kids, you are done with that now. Enjoy grandkids and farm.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This is so true. I was showing my adult daughter how to split wood this morning and told her to stop every few tries because just like me she can get frustrated and want to bull on through. She noticed her aim was off when she did that. If it were me doing baking and processing I’d have killed my cakes too 🙄

you mean like with an axe?! or wedge and hammer or?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Spent some time in the garden instead of butchering. I'm almost ashamed to say that I bought some started broccoli and cabbage and transplanted some of those. I just couldn't find time to start seeds...ugh. But, like ya'll said - soon I'll have time to do what I want when I want. I almost can't wrap my head around it, lol. I'm such a homebody that I could probably become a recluse if I thought I could get away with it. DH loves to go to town - he's the social butterfly. I can do without a lot of people around just fine. Gimme my kids, grandkids and the couple friends I'll keep in touch (and do the occasional lunch with) and I don't think I'll need anything else but my little farm to soothe my soul.

We had a 'conference/retreat' at work the other day and we were forced to take a Clifton Strengths study. Of course, it's mental strength - not physical. My top 5 strengths are Achiever, Learner, Empathy, Intellection, Competitive if you believe that kind of thing. But, in retrospect they seem to match. I can't sit still and need to Achieve things. I'm constantly trying to Learn more about nature gardening, animal husbandry...etc. I'm very Empathetic and can read people and their moods really well. Doesn't mean I'm always sympathetic, but I am empathetic. Intellection doesn't necessarily mean intellectual, lol - it only means I enjoy learning. But, there is also an aspect of needing to have peace and quiet to ponder the things I've learned. That seems to fit me fairly well. Competitive - yep! I like to do well at things I do. Might be why I showed animals for so long. But, competition for me means being prepared....and that goes hand in hand with achieving and learning and all of that stuff. It was interesting to see something that I really didn't believe at first glance - but upon deeper inspection I gotta say it kinda makes sense. Turned out to be kinda fun.

Put some soup in the crock pot this afternoon - and even thogh I know it's not best to eat dinner at 10pm....it's pretty tasty! About to pour a glass of wine to go with and will hit the sack pretty soon

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
i took a day off last week to read books
There is nothing wrong with that! I'm hoping to find more time to read when my work days are finally over. I love a good who-dun-it!

I've been busy today. Started the day trouble shooting the electric fence. Ugh. Finally...after exhausting myself fixing itty, bitty things like grass on the line, and a bit of rust on the gate handle...re-doing another gate handle that just had a bit too much sag in it and would sway in the wind enough to hit the gate and shock me if I was touching it at the time. Ouch! Finally found the real culprit. Some animal out there had knocked one of the insulators aside and the wire was resting against a stock panel. You'd think that would have totally shorted it out - but it was still working at about half-strength. But, Big Daddy knows when things aren't as bad as they should be so he took that opportunity to breach the fence and get out with the sows. And he forgets how to get back in - even with bribes and threats - the lure of the girls is too much for him. If I can't get him back in within a couple days I know he will go in the trailer for a boiled egg or two for a one way ride...:(

Planted some cabbage starts to go along with the broccoli I got planted earlier. Excited about that! Want to get a few more things tucked in. Love our growing season!

Brought a couple of does up a few days ago. They've been nursing babies a long time - so now they're not. You'd think the hussies would be grateful - but they're not. They're standing at the fence bellerin' for their babies or the herd or just fussin' about their general dissatisfaction with life, lol. Not the least bit happy about being in an area where they don't have to fight for feed or hay. I just don't get it.

Sitting down now to watch the Texans. They need to get busy and win this game! No more foolin' around guys. Same advice for the Astros! Get busy and bring this world series HOME!

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think it’s called a maul or splitting ax. You aren’t cutting or axing it, more just hitting it so it cracks (very dried wood). I can pay my landscaper cousin or, as I am doing increasingly, DIY.
I like splitting wood. Don't have a fireplace or wood heater anymore, I miss it. But when we have to cut a big tree, we cut it into firewood for our DD and family. I always keep them in lighter pine too.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It is a very satisfying feeling to see it split. So much of what I do all day is invisible really and I am unlikely to ever know if it made a difference. Thankful for homesteading!

living in my head as much as i do i completely understand this perspective and also find it one of the big joys of gardening and growing food and putting things up. i can look at them, the visual and tactile parts, but also that it just encourages me to be more active and my body really needs that work and my mind says thank you and feels better for it too. :)

in the middle of winter when i'm fondling my beans and such that tactile and color is so welcome when all is so white, greys and browns outside.

oh, and having the worm buckets gives me a chance to play in some dirt and see the little ecosystems i have going in each bucket. i'm so psyched this year i have tiny spiders! they're so incredibly cute! lol

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's been a day!

I wanted to start the day butchering a pig or two - but it didn't happen that way. I decided to work on making more room in the fridge(s) and freezer(s). I needed to get all of that luncheon meat taken care of. I've been working on it a bit - here and there - but needed to get more taken care of. So I cooked up a big ol stock pot of rice with goodies for the dogs. Part of the goodies was the luncheon meat. I've been soaking it to help remove some of the salt that wouldn't be so in dogfood. Canned about 14 quarts of rice and goodies and have more to do tomorrow along with refrigerating some of it. Spent way too long standing...(says my feet, lol). Been working with the pigsters that will be harvested. Getting them accustomed to me being right in their face. Helps when I need to "take the shot." :(

Spent time outside with the goats and bigger pigs too. I've been watching the goat girls trying to decipher if any of them were bred by the young bucklings before I got them neutered. Several of my goats are nice and plump - but doesn't seem to be any udder development. Five months after the neutering would be 11-15. I'm starting to believe that none of them are bred...and that's not a bad thing. I would rather pick who is bred to whom instead of it just happening by happenstance.

Ended the day with a glass of wine in the hot tub. First soak of the year and it just doesn't get any better!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ended the day with a glass of wine in the hot tub. First soak of the year and it just doesn't get any better!

They each get better! Who you kidding?? If there is anything I "miss" it would be that....hot tub & a glass of wine. Ahhhh, memories. I may have to look around for a "one person" soaker next winter. I love the relaxed feeling and your skin & muscles so appreciate it. :cool:

This year, several rolls of new fencing is my goal -- $$.