Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That shopping trip was more exhausting than a whole day of building fence!!

sums it up perfectly for me too. if it weren't for people watching there's not too much about shopping i like - well ok, once in a while there's a fun person to talk to here or there, but most of the time it is just kinda blah.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Brrrrrrr..woke up to 39 this morning and windy! Wind is supposed to abate somewhat in a few hours and we're headed for a high somewhere in the low 50's. That would be fine if the wind actually does die down some. It might be a day for mostly inside chores. Might do some baking.... or might grind some of that pig meat and save the baking for another day.

Last night's dinner was a really tasty. A loosely based interpretation of a Rice Bowl using cauliflower. I used leftover pork loin, black beans, shredded cheese, avocado and cilantro as the toppings/stir-ins. I nuked the cauliflower rice to start and then finished it in a frying pan with cumin, chili powder and paprika to give it a smoky Mexican-ish flavor. Added the toppings and a dollop of sour cream. Yum!

Got a text from a guy who I sold several goats to before Thanksgiving. They want another goat (or two) if I've got them. I know these goats will be meat so I suggested a wether that I had been planning on butchering - but cash talks. In fact I might take that cash and go buy some lamb. I've been wanting some for awhile now. I guess I'd better consider breeding a few more does. I've been selling every goat that I wanted to sell - and then some lately. Meat goat market is busy these days.

At some point I need to open all of these Amazon boxes and figure out what I've got and get them wrapped or bagged. Not one of my favorite chores but needs to be done.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm being a weather wuss today. I haven't even been out of the house except to walk to the freezer in the attached garage. (I did look out an upstairs window and confirmed that no critters look like they're dying) I've been grinding up pig today. I've got a bunch in the freezer and I'm saving some back to cook tonight. I love my new meat grinder except that it's a bit loud. What? Huh? What did you say? LOL DH wouldn't even stay in the kitchen while it was running. He says it makes his tinnitus terrible. Probably make a meat loaf tonight or meat balls or something. I made a little sample batch of sausage this morning and I pronounce it darn edible! Can't wait to make a big batch.

DH is working on the garage - he's been at it for awhile now. Best part of that is we found a semi-local recycle place that will take all the crap. No - not crap! It's all awesome recyclables.

Might move on to juicing some of those lemons next. Feel the need to accomplish things today. Might juice some of those lemons next. At some point I'm going to have to brave the cold and go take care of the critters. They've been at the round bale most of the day so they're not starving - but they'd really be upset with me if they didn't get their grain goodies. Sigh...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad yesterday is over! It was so windy all day that going outside was just miserable. It's colder today but feels so much better being calm and sunny! I can do outside if the wind is calm and the sun is shining.

Today will be a mixed bag of things to do. Gonna do a little inside and a little outside. DH is taking his mom to a couple of appointments this afternoon.

Tomorrow he has another eye exam and afterwards we'll take the rest of the day to enjoy ourselves. We had an anniversary a few days ago (and they said it wouldn't last). We're gonna catch a movie and grab some lunch at a new seafood grill in town. Now all we have to do is have a fight over which movie we'll see, lol.

WooHoo - just heard that DIL got offered a job in the school system and she can finally get out of WalMart. Hope she's not jumping from the frying pan into the fire, lol. But, she really needs a change right now and I'm crossing my fingers that this works out.

Need another cuppa and then gotta get busy.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Been working on lemons today. Picked a dozen from one (of three) trees and juiced them. Got 36 ounces of juice from 12 lemons! Then I zested them. I'll be using the zest to try my hand at making Lemoncello or is it Limoncelllo? I dunno - but I'm going to try to make some anyway! Put the zest of a bunch of lemons in some vodka and let it sit for a month or so - then add simple syrup and enjoy. Sounds like a good way to make use of all parts of the lemons! (or an excuse to drink a tasty adult beverage)

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It is Limoncello and it sounds delish! I would love to make some for myself but lemons are so expensive in the store, they never look very good and you need so many.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's warm and sunny here today, high of 50ish. I finally had to come in to wrap presents. LOL You have been busy, grinding meat and putting up lemon juice. Good for you!