Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sounds good to me! I need to do another batch of the homemade Bailey's. Pretty much have all here to do. Hmmm.

You sure are jumping into this retirement thing! :D Either that or you think you're just on a couple weeks vacay and need to "get it all done" :lol:

we have been wanting to make some for the past few months so finally have all the ingredients on hand.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Headed to DS's house soon to have our Christmas dinner/gift exchange. We broke tradition and are having brisket! We'll leave after the Texans game concludes. Less than 4 minutes left … we're up by 3...The STRESS!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had a blast! When we go there for a holiday celebration it's us, my son and DIL and her mom/dad/sis/BIL/niece. It s a good group of folks. After dinner and gift exchange the rest of the folks went home and we stayed until after 10 playing ping pong and enjoying an adult beverage or two. My son has converted his garage into an vintage/antique 20's era bar. It's awesome with period lights and decorations along with a pool table that has an optional ping pong table top. We laughed and played and chased balls all over that bar-age. Simple pleasures!

Sold a couple of goats this morning! Yay! Mo' money in my pocket and less mouths to feed. Love, love, love it! Sold a wether that was prime eating size and a younger doe that may or may or not be bred. I priced her right so the folks were willing to take a gamble that she might be bred.

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Found some quail only about 40minutes away so I'll be picking them up a little later today. Yay! The folks said it is 8 females and 1 male if I remember correctly. That' not the best ratio for getting fertilized eggs. I'll probably separate them and just put three or four females with the male until I can get some fertilized eggs and start getting some chicks. I'm kind of excited about them. I love quail and I hope to be able to occasionally supplement the dogs with some fresh meat.

Had a goat who was puny for a couple of days but after a little TLC she's back on track.

I processed another batch of lemons yesterday and canned 5 more pints of juice.

Last minute errands today (and picking up the quail) is about all there is on the agenda. Basic clean up and normal day to day activities... I'm ok with it, lol.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got the quail home and within an hour had a couple of eggs. I love quail! I kind of expect that their laying will be interrupted for the next few days while they adjust to their new digs. I've got them all in one cage right now but in a day or so I'll separate them so that the little male won't have so many hens demanding his attention. I'll probably wait a few weeks before even attempting to incubate any eggs.

I'm likely going to reconfigure some cages. Don't know how yet. It'll depend on how easy or complicated the auto water system is that we purchased a couple years ago and haven't installed yet, lol. I need to reacquaint myself with the ins and outs of the system in reference to freezing weather.

We're seriously considering a trip to the Houston zoo tomorrow. I haven't been in years - decades even! In fact, the last time I went the admission was free. Now, I think it's $20 a head. Less for seniors, but DH and I don't quite meet the age requirement. I'm a lousy liar so we'll pony up and enjoy the day, lol.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Make sure y'all ride the train in Herman Park! We went to the zoo one time, DH had never rode a train like that, so we got aboard. He was like a little kid, having the time of his life. The bird house is a great experience too. They fly around freely.

What kind of quail did you get?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got regular ol' Coturnix quail. I've had them before and they do real well. So easy to raise if you can keep the varmints out of the cage and remember to latch the door after opening it, lol. They grow fast, lay quick and taste good. Need to get out my incubator and get it ready along with making sure the brooder is ready to go. But, no real hurry, gonna be awhile before I try to hatch a batch.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Quail are laying like crazy! I got two eggs yesterday but 8 today - from 9 hens.

The zoo was fun but I wore the wrong shoes. I put on my Nike walking shoes - shoulda been a good plan. But, I couldn't find the inserts so I wore them without. Ouch - my feet hurt...even my toenails hurt, lol. But I'm gonna get 'em in the hot tub soon and give 'em a good ol' aqua massage while I sip some liquid pain meds. That oughta fix me right up!

Went out to feed this evening and no dogs. Huh? I start whistling and calling and freakin' out a little bit and then I see this brindle blur come sailing over the very back fence. I saw the female out there but even though she had obviously jumped out - she didn't jump back in. Couple minutes later she's at the front gate. I have no idea how far she had to go to get around all of the other fences around all our neighbors places to make it back front. But, she did. That back part of the fence doesn't have electric. So, it took Cowboy and friend awhile to figure it out - but looks like I need to extend the electric. Can't exactly do it tomorrow because I don't have the supplies I need and I reckon TSC will be closed tomorrow. Stupid dogs! Looks like another project that I'm glad I'm retired and can get to fairly quickly. ARGH! It never ends...there's always something... Farm life ain't for sissies, lol!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That back part of the fence doesn't have electric. So, it took Cowboy and friend awhile to figure it out -
Stupid dogs!

Sounds like they are pretty SMART to figure out the weak spot and how to get back home. LOL

Like the goats -- if you want to find their exit -- call them to feed and they will show you by entering the same way. Animals!!

Merry Christmas!