Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome back! Hey you could have come back to far worse things right? How'd the move go?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
LOL - at least all 5 of them weren't out! Only a little pygmy, and I know one doe that I thought was bred to Dusty, the Nubian, was in heat. Kind of a big change wanting this doe to be bred to a big ol' Nubian and she might end up bred to an itty, bitty pygmy. But, only if he was really inventive or she squatted down - cuz no other way could he have reached her.

The move, the move, the move. Isn't it funny how all those folks that told us weeks ago that they would help - all disappeared when it actually came time to work. Soooo, me, DH, and his sister - all 60years + packed up the entire house, moved every piece of furniture, every bag, every box, every piece of everything that DMIL wanted. We rented a big ol' U-Haul and packed the entire house into it. I kept telling her to slow down cuz she went from an 1800 + sq ft. house to an 800 sq ft apartment. YOU DON'T HAVE ROOM TO TAKE EVERYTHING! So, now during the unpacking, she's starting another box (or 12) to take to the local Disabled American Vet store and give away. Geeze! I don't mind working my butt off to help - but I am hating having to do it twice.

Oh, and a couple of the folks who weren't able to help us load promised that they'd help us UNload. A couple of those folks showed up - but again - a couple didn't. So, since we were back on home turf to unload - I called a couple of my students. I love them! Two of them came and I swear if they hadn't, we would still be unloading. In two hours the truck was unloaded when it took us about 8 hours to load it. Would have been a bit faster, but we were packing, cleaning AND loading. :th

The does I've been milking didn't get milked Friday. Saturday evening I went out to milk expecting to find some really over-filled does, but it wasn't that bad. These does have been lactating for 8 - 9 months now. So, went out to milk this evening when I got home, and they're trying real hard to dry up. I went ahead and kicked to of em out to the pasture and milked two. Got less than one quart from TWO does...geeze. My goal was to milk until mid-December, but I might be shutting it down sooner if they don't pick back up.

Going to find me a glass of wine and chill a while.

p.s. Got my taste for wine back - thank goodness, lol!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After that... Wine sounds lovely! Glad you're done at least!

See your goats know that you like kinders better than nubians so they arranged that for you! Lol

Also I've tried to reply to this post like 3 times and my phone keeps freaking out and deleting it.. My first reply was much more thoughtful. Now I'm just mad at technology and celebrating wine.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Don't you just HATE it when you have spent all that time formatting a great response and the universe eats it! Happens to me occasionally and I am NEVER happy about it.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And it takes forever to type on my phone... And I'm so tired I don't remember what I said the first time. Thanks phone. At least it doesn't randomly burst into flames like all the phones in the news... There's that to be happy about.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad you found wine, again. Sometimes I find my taste buds like a change for a while too.

At least your DMIL decide to get rid of some of her "stuff". My mom wouldn't and now, I'm having to go thru it all again to clear out MY house. Never easy. THANKFULLY your students came thru to help you out. Priceless. Make them a huge batch of cookies to munch out. She's moved, that is out of the way, relax.

I have found some interesting things in boxes of saved items. Yep, have to go thru every paper as she had moved & hidden some things with the altzhimers effects...finding papers that will be needed and some information, documents and pictures that are welcome. Otherwise, a job,wow!!! Give me the wine!

As to goats, you know, whoever got bred got bred. You just sell them as "goats". I have 2 does line bred this year & "who knows". They will freshen & kids sold, that simple. Next year more control. Not going to beat myself up over it now. Just won't register those kids, obviously. Should be sale age in time for seasonal holiday in Spring and those buyers aren't looking for any paperwork. If a special reason for a breeding, lute them & start over. It'll all work out:hugs

I haven't milked in three months, just dried every one off & we all took a break. May regret that when they kid next but we will work thru it. I DO miss the milk. Life & weather just didn't make the chore workable so-----not fair to any of us.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses - one thing I've learned from all of this is to clean out my junk before my kids have to do it. Hope I can find time to get started on that, lol!

Still no piglets, but thinking it might happen next week. I'm laughing at myself because I sound like some of those folks on BYH who are waiting for their goats to kid and saying every day "I think she's in labor"! I'm that way with this pig - well, almost. She's NOT in labor, but at least she's getting closer every day. Her pig boobies seem to be fuller, but who knows? Maybe she's just a big fat sow and isn't even pregnant. :th That would be my luck!

Still milking two does and they're doing pretty well. I milk them twice a day when I get the chance just to try to keep their production up. Didn't get the chance this morning - we'll see how well that worked out tomorrow.

Crazy weekend coming up - going to do a 'turn and burn' to see DD and grandkiddos. Grandson's b'day is Saturday so we're driving up early that morning, will spend the night and come home early Sunday morning. Going to DS's that evening for early T'giving there.

Work is crazy right now - hoping to get a little break next week! Only work M and T, so have a 5 day weekend coming up next week. I intend to use it for something productive! (like lots of sleep, lol!)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow crazy weekend! And just general craziness I guess. It is funny to see people play the is she isn't she game on BYH but I could be one of them in the spring so I don't laugh too hard!

Yay for 5 days off. Try not to be too productive in your time off!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses - one thing I've learned from all of this is to clean out my junk before my kids have to do it. Hope I can find time to get started on that, lol!

AMEN!!! ME TOO.....
Still have to get thru mom's first but, working on it sporadically. It's a trip I don't want to leave for kids.

One of my PT jobs is slacking & other picking up (normal). So I am doing food samplings just about every day for next 2 weeks. YEP, weekends are most popular time & holidays get overwhelming. But I chuckled that one of them is for Irish Cream!! We will be offering a non-alcoholic version but, recipe is for loaded. Not that we don't do alcohol samplings but, only wine & beer....liquor controlled State.

So -- the point -- their recipe added almond flavoring. It does work well, I added a touch to some of mine to try at home. Of course, it was the loaded version & I used some Amaretto liquor. Just FYI...:p Pretty same as our others but this one does give more info for actual quantities.

IRISH CREAM-----------------
1 cup heavy cream
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 2/3 cup Irish whiskey
1 tsp instant coffee granules
2 tbsp. chocolate syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract

eta -- my piggies are about like yours, filling & tummy moving, wide then low, etc. Always hungry!!