Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a question....Out of the theme of current discussion but, I believe you got some comfrey cuttings a while back and wondering how they are doing for you? I just ordered some more plants because my chickens liked it so much they ate the leaves, roots and all!!! Not one speck left. So I begin again & will NOT have them in the chicken lot. :cool: Should have 3 y/o plants first of week and some root cuttings to start. Pots ready!

Hope to have 25 or 30 going for Spring transplanting -- "somewhere". I will dedicate a place for this and use it as a crop. Actually have a spot in mind that is fenced off. Heck, at the prices they want this could be a nice little income line in a year or two. :D It's been used in Europe for years. Here, not so much.

cabinguy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a question....Out of the theme of current discussion but, I believe you got some comfrey cuttings a while back and wondering how they are doing for you? I just ordered some more plants because my chickens liked it so much they ate the leaves, roots and all!!! Not one speck left. So I begin again & will NOT have them in the chicken lot. :cool: Should have 3 y/o plants first of week and some root cuttings to start. Pots ready!

Hope to have 25 or 30 going for Spring transplanting -- "somewhere". I will dedicate a place for this and use it as a crop. Actually have a spot in mind that is fenced off. Heck, at the prices they want this could be a nice little income line in a year or two. :D It's been used in Europe for years. Here, not so much.
Comfrey is real easy to grow i planted it at the base of my fruit trees to improve my soil kind of a natural fertilizer. I also make Comfrey fertilizer with the leaves for my garden with it ( very easy ) . I have bocking 14 because the seed is sterile it needs to be propagated by root.
I understand other varieties of comfrey can be very invasive. I know that comfrey can cause liver damage to humans if ingested but ok to use topical. Saying that ive wondered how safe it is to feed livestock. within three years of planting my 1" long root cuttings my plants are huge. https://www.healthline.com/health/what-is-comfrey#risks

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes, it grows well and I have Bocking 4, not quite as bitter. & rust resistant - only know issue with comfrey. Europe has used this for centuries and studies have seemed to show the threat of the allantoin isn't there as once thought. The plant has a lot of medicinal and forage value, with high protein and vit/min from being a deep accumulator. Only plant I know to hold B-12 & protein at 22%+, not to mention Omegas. It's quite a plant!

My chickens have devoured all...even the root, so I have ordered more and should have them first of week. Spring I should have 30-35 plants growing well. I will expand from there. Yes, my animals have eaten it and are all still here, looking for more. I've check out some of the medically controlled studies to feel it is something I feel ok to use. Plus many reviews from animal breeders who use it all the time. Some have butchered stock and find NO evidence of liver damage, plus increased milk and egg production from feeding.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have some in tubs...haven't even checked on it in a couple months. But, every time the chickens get in that part of the garden, they devour it!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Comfrey is wonderful! My chickens strangely never wanted to eat it, but I heard it's great for making ointments for skin issues and can be a great livestock feed as well. We used to sell it in our garden nursery in S.A. and sold quite a bit of it based on it's medicinal qualities.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sumi, did you sell it fresh or dried?

I would love to dry some but, seems only ways to do actually have it "powder" when handled. So, if you want to use when not growing fresh, you need to use it in such a form. Shame it can't dry like a tobacco leaf & retain some structure. It can be pelletized but the 5 figure cost of equipment is beyond my budget.

In TX you will probably be able to keep some fresh most all year if you just made a little greenhouse over the tub -- as your temps generally don't plummet enough to kill, for any length of time. I plan to attempt some of that this year and see how far I can extend fresh. Next year, working on some better dry attempts. Freezing just turns it to water when thawed. But, great fertilizer!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is what happens when the ground is wet. Goats climb trees! Couldn't get the camera out fast enough to catch them both in there...

IMG_4147 (2).JPG

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Aw so cute. Pure nigie or crossed with pygmy? Those goats are the only ones that sell here. Cute little flashy things. I can hear them grumbling about their little feeties getting wet lol! One of mine used to act like her feet were on fire when the grass was wet!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The one in the tree is pure nigi…..the little fella on the block (Freckles) is a barnyard mix, lol. HIs mama is another nigi and his daddy is a kinder.:idunno

Latest posts