Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got off early today-it’s cool outside - so I’ve got one less mouth to feed. Harvested a goat today. It’s been awhile and I definitely need more practice making pretty cuts. But, it’s done:
5DB26D22-F538-48A4-9EBF-19E89A6EB7C6.jpeg

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You're right about that. Ugly or pretty - It all tastes good!

DH is watching his UT football game so we haven't even thought about doing a pig like we said we would! GRRRRR But I'm still outside getting 'stuff' accomplished. As long as I'm getting something done, I'm alright with him taking a few hours to enjoy the game.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's ok -- darned pig is happy about the game! :lol:

"stuff" -- yep, today I have been just working at the same thing. A huge amount of feed bags went to the dump, a can full of cat food cans, some crap from the yards, etc. Actually perks up your desire to do something bigger. :rolleyes: Just takes a lot of annoying "small" things off the plate/out of the way. Then you can look at projects, not feeling overwhelmed. At least for me.

I actually have 5 more days at home :ep How'd that happen?:idunno Penning roosters tomorrow night....Monday -- adios! :cool: Psyching up for it.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm totally not in the mood to do a pig now, lol. But, I need to get that mood back! I'm just tired - I accomplished lots of 'stuff' today. But, why is it that I see more stuff that needs to be done every time I look around?

I intended to move some goats around and start some breeding groups - but that didn't happen. Need to worm some does before I move them - but that didn't happen either.

I moved some fence panels, cleaned up in the feed trailer and mowed, mowed, mowed. Made low carb pizza crust for dinner and had sausage, onions, peppers, olives, and pepperoni (and more cheese) for toppings. Really, really good!

There's still tomorrow. Then we're leaving Monday to go to Austin and visit with the folks at the Teachers Retirement System to get some info straight from the horses mouth instead of all the people at work who tell me this and that and the other. At least I'll have answers in a few days.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There's still tomorrow. Then we're leaving Monday to go to Austin and visit with the folks at the Teachers Retirement System to get some info straight from the horses mouth instead of all the people at work who tell me this and that and the other. At least I'll have answers in a few days.
There is nothing that can take the place of a face to face discussion with the right people who can answer your questions and give you the best and true advice.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There is nothing that can take the place of a face to face discussion with the right people who can answer your questions and give you the best and true advice.
Absolutely agree! I've gotta get a couple things done before we leave tomorrow so today will be busy. First things first - gotta butcher a pig. I need to get that feed bill down - retirement is gonna happen!

The first 7 months there is going to be a bit of a financial stretch. My insurance is covered by TRS for life - but I'll have to pay DH's insurance until he turns 65. That happens in August - so we'll just suck it up until then. I'm definitely NOT working that long. But, that's why we've been investing money in other sources for decades. I guess we'll start taking a little money out next year. Doesn't make sense not to.

One more cup of coffee and I've gotta get outside.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Try looking into Liberty Health Share for insurance. My husband had to take early retirement at 59 because of disability. Unfortunately, he wasn't eligible for state disability which would have covered insurance I believe. His company (and the employees) had elected to not pay Social Security (I didn't know you could do this before- but it's legal) so they are not able to access any of the benefits. He still gets Soc Sec because he had paid into it in other jobs, but no disability. The company carried a private disability insurance, which he gets, but it was barely enough to cover the $1000+ health insurance costs these days.
So we looked around and found Liberty Health Share. It costs us $379 a month, and appears to give us better coverage. We also found a doctor that is on a Direct Primary Care Plan- we pay him $75 a month for all the visits DH might need.
Once he turns 65, he will be eligible for Medicare, but until then, this is very affordable.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I willonly pay $358 for his medical coverage ....so it's not terrible. And, I can keep vision for less than $12 a month - but we'll have to come up with dental for him. So many things to consider....I just want to retire and not have to worry about all this, lol!

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pic of Big DAddy and the new self- feeder. Just a bucket full of corn with holes in it that they roll around. Small amounts of corn fall through as they abuse the bucket. It would take them all day to get it all out- but they are entertained at the same time. Pig feeder/pig enrichment all in the same bucket, lol!
5AC328F1-FC65-4C8E-9FF1-66825F1BC8FC.jpeg