Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we do grow tomatoes, we've almost used up this summers' canned tomatoes though. we did 90something quarts and only one case left. Mom won't eat eggplant or many other things. i'm already on TEG. :) i've been there a few years now.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woo Hoo - found the game and watched the rest of it. And..... Texans kicked bootie! Ok - now I need to decide what to do with the rest of my day. Got up this morning and powdered some dehydrated luncheon meat for mixing in with dog food. Have more in the dehydrator. Dogs are loving me these days. Lol - who am I kidding - they love me every day! :love

I'm going to move a leg o' goat out of the freezer and into the fridge to thaw slowly. I'm going to cook it low and slow overnight tomorrow. I'll pour a bottle of red wine in the pot, stuff as many garlic cloves as I can into the leg and surround it all with fresh rosemary sprigs and let it cook all night. Yum - can't wait! I'll be off Tuesday so I'll have time to deal with it.

DH has a doc appointment Tuesday afternoon that I want to go to so I put in for the whole day off. I need to use up some time before the big retirement day - so that helps.

Grandson has been sick all week with the flu. Talked to DD last night and seems like granddaughter is now running a low grade fever. Her DH is out of town and won't be back until mid-November. I told her to get some Elderberry syrup and start with it before she's the sick one! She's going to have a hard time taking care of sick kiddos if she's sick herself!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nice relaxing day. Didn't do a whole lot (after watching the game) but decided I'd better do something about getting some goats bred. I turned the Kinder buck out with the does - almost all of the does. Yikes! I didn't see any action despite him doing a thorough inspection of all of them. I'm not looking to breed a ton of does this year - but I need to have a couple of them bred so I'll have something to milk next year. I'm only going to leave him with the does for maybe a week so whatever happens in that week - happens.

I also put Chester(the pygmy buck) with the pygmy doe and two Nubians that are in the same pen. Not much chance of him getting one of the Nubians...how do I know? Because I spent about a half hour "helping" him and still no luck. I gave him a platform to stand on - and held a willing doe in front of the platform for him and nada, nothing, no luck at all - but not for his lack of trying. So, I'm over it. If he can find a way to reach 'em - more power to him. But, he's on his own!

It's been a bit of a weird rut this year. I have seen only two does that even appeared to be in season of the last month or so. One was at the fence harassing the bucks a few weeks ago - and Lucy was flagging her tail yesterday. Other than that, I've seen no action. So, I started thinking back...hmmmmm. I did have some young bucklings that were running with the girls until I neutered 'em. That happened in mid-June. So, if these guys were fertile (and they probably were) and lucky (and they could have been) I might have some does bred to them. But, these does would be due mid November. I do see a couple of nice fat does - but no udder development at all. No loose or soft ligaments either. I guess even after banding they could still be fertile for a few days...but not much after that. I guess time will tell. It would be my luck that a bunch are bred to the younguns and the rest will be bred to Kinder. Goat math at it's best, huh?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
no action over here either. The rams have been pacing the fence line and staring over at the ewes for a couple weeks, so we were surprised. They'll get to it eventually.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I thought you had a home butcher coming to help with the pig slaughter for halves. Or did I dream that?

I'll slaughter chickens-no problem although I apologize to every one of them. We have home slaughtered pigs, but since I sell pork, I'd rather it be done professionally, same with lamb. Cutting chops is a little above my head.

FEM, I like knowing that the meat I eat had a good life. Some have names, but's it's kinda hard to name 40 white chickens. LOL My animals got to act out their natural animal behaviors and are spoiled with good food, attention and the best treatment I can give them. They have a bad few moments and that's it.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am for doing what makes us the calmest and as much as we all hate our efforts wasted it is peace of mind that matters most IMHO. I have killed chickens and it is not easy. A pig would be harder and I think attitude is the biggest factor. You have a “why” - a purpose - and you still don’t do it easily which is a good thing, right? Reassuring for our families LOL.

i've always thought that cannibals don't sleep well... :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
thought you had a home butcher coming to help with the pig slaughter for halves. Or did I dream that?
I did. But they "went out of town"...aka...flaking out on me, lol. I have another guys name as back-up, but now I'm leery of actually calling him. I'll keep on doing the ones I can do and my neighbor will want some after deer season. Guess I'll stick to the tried and true and what works around her.

"I am for doing what makes us the calmest and as much as we all hate our efforts wasted it is peace of mind that matters most IMHO. I have killed chickens and it is not easy. A pig would be harder and I think attitude is the biggest factor. You have a “why” - a purpose - and you still don’t do it easily which is a good thing, right? Reassuring for our families LOL."

i've always thought that cannibals don't sleep well... :)
I had to read that one a couple of times before I "got" it - but then I laughed really loud!

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just figured out that I have less than 20 days of actual work time left. With holidays, comp time and a couple days of vacation I need to take so I don't go over the maximum....20 days! Of course, if I'm sick that could all change too. I have 14 days of sick time. If I'm sick, I'll take it. If I'm not - I'll donate it back to the pool at the college. I brought some things home from the office today. Whew... It was NICE!!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just figured out that I have less than 20 days of actual work time left. With holidays, comp time and a couple days of vacation I need to take so I don't go over the maximum....20 days! Of course, if I'm sick that could all change too. I have 14 days of sick time. If I'm sick, I'll take it. If I'm not - I'll donate it back to the pool at the college. I brought some things home from the office today. Whew... It was NICE!!

if you'd like a gift to yourself, use up all the vacation time as that means you get an extra payment or two into the retirement fund.

i made the mistake of cashing mine in in a lump at the end when i left and that was a mistake. had i just used it up then i would have gained $400 more...