Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The water rationing in OR just isn't anything you want to have happen. Feel badly for those farmers. Doing all you can Britesea, I know. Do you have a gutter system for catchments?

DH had been under the impression that was not allowed in Oregon, but we found out recently that it is legal. We're looking into installing one, although I'm not sure just how much water we can harvest; this area is classified as "high desert".

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Holy Goat Batman! I listed a milking doe for sale today. Had 5 responses in just a bit over an hour. The guy that's getting her told me I should've asked more, lol! Love that honesty - but she's going to a great home so I'm okay with it. One less mouth to feed.

Listed 6 bucklings and in less than an hour they are spoken for. Geeze Louise - People must be worried about the food supply chain...

Caught the goats in the garden today - ARRRRRGH! But they must have only been in there for 6 seconds or so cuz the damage was minimal. Whew!

Picked more green beans this morning....and more zucchini...and some swiss chard...and three more cucumbers. Whose idea was this gardening thing? It sure is making a lot more work for me. (and I'm thankful!)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
All in all -- seems to have been a good day. Nice on sale. Yep, people are buying like life depends on it. Maybe it does. I'm just glad to be "there" already and have what I need. Made butter yesterday, cheese tomorrow, frig is FULL of milk. Eggs are abundant. Chicks hatching today. Garden working. Now, I'd still take a lottery win!!! LOL

Good thing you saw them in that garden!! You know how fast they eat. LOL One of my does sampled the four tomato plants in a container. I had stems left! Kept them & watered. They sprouted more leaves. Got planted today. Geesh….several goats in a growing garden -- disaster! I mean, they always eat.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That’s great on the sales! I think people are a little more interested in securing something to eat these days. This virus pandemic is like the eve of a major hurricane landing-that lasts for months.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, I rescinded my offer of selling the 6 bucklings to the guy who turned out to be more trouble than he was worth. He's a trader and I'm just not comfortable selling them to him. I'd rather sell them to someone I know is going to eat them, than to someone who is just going to dump them in a pen, expose them to all manner of challenges, until another sucker comes along and buys them from him. And, he insulted me by asking if they were healthy, lol. Actually turns out he's somebody I dealt with a few years back who always said he was coming and never showed up, always tried to get me to go down more while he was here and I'd rather eat them myself then deal with him again. Might have shot myself in the foot - but don't care. Other people have already inquired about them...so hope that works out.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's a sellers market! I've got two more folks on text right now and they both want them - argh! First come - first serve.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good on you for following your instincts and blowing that trader off. So, did both buyers show up?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So, did both buyers show up?

Not yet, but they've made a lot of promises, lol! I'm not really upset about it. I can band these guys and turn 'em out for a couple months...let 'em grow on free grass and sell 'em for 4th of July and Labor Day BBQ's for more money! I

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like that. Free grass. I’m working on that. I actually have 3 nice pastures ATM. One of these days..... What grasses do you have in your pastures?