Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our little county has had a horrible spike of C-virus cases. We had 97 cases a couple of days ago. Our website lists the ages of those confirmed and of the 97 cases only 6 were over the age of 60....the rest were the "younger" generation. ARGH!

The good news on that is that the younger generation is much less likely to develop dangerous symptoms. Not immune, but able to fight it better.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Get it? Raine-Beau! I amuse myself, lol!
Cute!! I like it. See where you are going -- a pair, then pups....?

Sorry about the garden boos. Clay is so hardpan with rain. Then, sand has issues, too. This used to be a Pnut farm so, good amount of sand mixed in but, certainly not a beach! Let's just say -- carrots & beets pull up nicely. LOL. A mile up the road, that guy has sand washing into the road some years, after heavy rain. 1500 feet over from me -- can't perc. It's strange.

Guy who bought land next door will need a $30K septic!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That stinks! It's ridiculous what those things cost nowadays. I put in a new one about 10 years ago and thankfully it wasn't that pricey.

Yep - going for a pair of English Shepherds. The breed is awesome and there's not too many of them around. Gracie was my right hand (wo)man. She did so much around here and we are not only at an emotional loss without her - but it's also like losing the farm foreman!

Need to get feed this morning. I'm changing my feeding program after having issues with TSC feed. I've always mixed several feeds to meet different needs. But, lately the goats have stopped eating the feed that I get at TSC. They would pick around it and leave it in feed pans. To make things even worse - a large portion of my herd has had dietary issues lately. Don't know why it took me so long to make the connection -but duh!

Gotta get busy before it gets any hotter outside....sigh.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

that's crazy talk! what is he dealing with a ton of extra animals or something? excavation isn't that expensive, nor is sand or pipes or tank. sounds like he should get another opinion/estimate IMO or do some more calling around...

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
that's crazy talk! what is he dealing with a ton of extra animals or something? excavation isn't that expensive, nor is sand or pipes or tank. sounds like he should get another opinion/estimate IMO or do some more calling around...
Depends on the soil, home size, and state/local regulations. $30k is on the high side, but my ex-wife sometimes saw numbers near that when she was a realtor.

We had bought a brand new house and the builder did most everything on the cheap. 3 months in, we had leach bed issues, because the lines were trenched in hard pan clay (less than 12 inch wide trenches pipes barely fit and were not properly backfilled). We called around, even using her contacts, the lowest price was $20k to fix the leach field. How it initially passed inspection, i have no clue

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They would pick around it and leave it in feed pans. To make things even worse - a large portion of my herd has had dietary issues lately. Don't know why it took me so long to make the connection -but

TSC is close for me and does carry Blue Seal, which I've used for 30+ years. My goats always did well with it & I used the HORSE feed....way higher copper! Of course it began because I had - duh, a heard of minis! Try a bag or two. Not cheap but, not expensive when better health. Couple $ a bag. I just "grin & bear it". OK, mumble nasties when paying...:cool:

English Shepherds -- lot of grooming rquired? Lovely hair but, longish. I toy with getting another dog but want one that can be a good "farm" dog. No LGD but, alert and chase small encrouchers, respect animals, tell ME if anyone arrives, etc. A Lassie type. LOL

that's crazy talk! what is he dealing with

The ground is not percolating at depth needed. (MINE does and I have a traditional type) So, system needed will require extra tanks, pumps, annual maintenance, on top of initial cost. It's almost his own small commercial system. And they aren't pretty -- big mounds and all that. Kept last owner from building. Grows fine corn & cotton over there!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
TSC is close for me and does carry Blue Seal, which I've used for 30+ years. My goats always did well with it & I used the HORSE feed....way higher copper! Of course it began because I had - duh, a heard of minis! Try a bag or two. Not cheap but, not expensive when better health.

I buy the majority of my feed at a local feed mill. They carry a horse feed that has 50ppm copper and I really like that feed. The feed at TSC was 30ppm copper and it was a sweet feed. The goats previously loved it - probably because it was sweet - now they won't touch it. I will simply drop the TSC feed and continue with my own custom mix. It'll be a bit more expensive because I'll use more of the 50ppm (horse) feed from the mill and will add more alfalfa pellets and beet pulp along with the dry mix that they do love.

Re English Shepherds and grooming: Nope, not much required at all - but they do shed. In Gracie's 5 years on this earth I found mats behind her ears maybe twice. Small and easily snipped off.

I suppose if I had groomed her before bringing inside she wouldn't have dropped as much hair on the floor - but generally she only came inside at night (or during thunderstorms) and was most often in the breeze way and not the house.