Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They are surely a mess! It got cold and nasty so they'll be spending more time inside today... ya'll pray for me, lol!

Chicks aren't here yet - I had the shipping date wrong. They are being shipped today. I've already talked to the post office and they'll call me tomorrow when they get in. I need to go turn on the brooder and get the temp up for 'em. I like fall chicks - they'll be laying by spring.

Inside work today. I need to go make a batch of dog food booster. My dogs are so spoiled, lol. Hope DH will fire up the new smoker in a bit so I can get the bacon smoking. I have some more brisket chunks in the freezer that need to be ground up - or just cooked. We like brisket any way we can get it. And, I found a belly that I missed so I need to find time to turn it into bacon too. Always something to do.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Firing up the new smoker to smoke the bacon today. Using apple wood for the smoke Can't wait to taste it!

And - who the heck said winter could come today. Ok - maybe not "winter" for some folks but we barely just hit 50 today with wind and dampness and I just do not like it! If we had some sunshine I could tolerate it, lol. Totally admit that I am a cold weather wimp!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Drum roll please! Smoked the bacon today and I've gotta admit that it is absolutely delish!
099329AF-0CFC-42DD-BB4B-786010B6B97C.jpeg

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That bacon looks so good! Do you salt or cure it before smoking it? We made bacon several years ago and it was the best I ever had. Got 4 sides of bacon in the freezer that I need to do, just can't find the time! Friday going to slaughter the last 10 Dirty Birdies, then spend the next day or two processing them. Then NO MORE DIRTY BIRDIES until spring!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I did a mixture of salt, brown sugar, and I added pepper. I also used a tiny bit of pink salt. :hide I cooked up a few pieces and while it's a tiny bit saltier than I prefer - it's still absolutely delicious! I usually let it sit in a giant Ziploc for 10 days, turning it every day. But this batch went a full 2 weeks since I had to buy a new smoker.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Inside work today. I need to go make a batch of dog food booster. My dogs are so spoiled, lol. Hope DH will fire up the new smoker in a bit so I can get the bacon smoking. I have some more brisket chunks in the freezer that need to be ground up - or just cooked. We like brisket any way we can get it. And, I found a belly that I missed so I need to find time to turn it into bacon too. Always something to do.

yeah, but that is all good stuff to be doing. :)

i should have been outside today but i ended up taking the morning and into the early afternoon to sort through some box tops of beans of mixed types to see what was in them. very fun for me. :) then i made lunch for us and it's nap time for Mom and i'm just getting caught up on-line. :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's beautiful today! Clear, bright and shiny out there. Temp was down to 40 when I got up at 7am - yikes. But we're headed for the mid 50's today with no wind thankfully. It was blustery and windy all day yesterday - made it miserable to be out.

Hope I can get some of my plant starts tucked into a raised bed today. I swear if the puppies get to 'em - I'll, I'll, I'll.... I dunno but they'll regret it!

I finally got the last of the brisket chunks out of the freezer and ground them yesterday. Turned it into about 8lbs of ground meat. Kept a couple pounds in chunks to make bbq or stew out of. Can't wait until brisket goes on sale again...might be a long wait though :( maybe around July next year, lol.

Anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Imperfect Food box.