Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The bacon looks :drool fry that up and add to a fresh tomato sandwich and WOW. I love bacon for breakfast but not into cooking each morn. I cook a lot a touch over half way, then can just MW for a breakfast.

I keep looking at AGH ads :th😁. It's excellent pork!!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The bacon looks :drool fry that up and add to a fresh tomato sandwich and WOW. I love bacon for breakfast but not into cooking each morn. I cook a lot a touch over half way, then can just MW for a breakfast.

I keep looking at AGH ads :th😁. It's excellent pork!!

while most people like to have the fat rendered from cooking bacon we just don't use it at all here so it is a waste issue to be dealt with if we have regular bacon like that to cook up. in the past few years we've been buying the pre crumbled bacon in a package and it keeps on the shelf until opened and then after that we keep it in the fridge. when we want some crispier bacon than what is in the package it can be microwaved to the desired crisp. Mom loves it!

after comparing the price of what we would pay for the regular bacon and considering all the weight in water and fat that would get lost or discarded after cooking the price is about the same. the difference is that there is less packaging and less for us to throw away later. big gains to us and plus Mom thinks it is the best invention since chocolate. :)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I keep that real bacon packaged product on hand. Quite good and fast to throw some into a scrambled egg! If on sale I pick up some sliced pkgs. Here, I raised the pigs so kept fat and rendered. I do use it. So does my DD, surprisingly. Love those cracklins!

I never buy lard. But have ample on hand. All they ever had in years past. I'm old school but enjoy the new things, too.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What a fantastic day! DDIL called this morning as asked if we wanted to spend the day with them on Galveston Island. We hadn't been down for awhile so we jumped at the chance. Picture perfect day - about 72 all day with almost total sunshine! DS has a golf cart that he trailered down and that's how we got around the island. It was awesome! We had lunch at a fantastic place - The Original Mexican Cafe established in 1916. It's the longest continually operating restaurant on Galveston Island. A lot of history there and the food is divine. It's only the 2nd time DH and I have eaten out since Covid started. We also hit several antique shops and DS picked up a few treasures and then we toured Moody Mansion. Beautiful, elegant old mansion.
1604189426052.png

I'll be playing catch-up around here tomorrow - but it was totally worth it!

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The Moody Mansion is beautiful, made from Texas granite and sandstone. We took the tour, forgot how many years it took to build it. One story sticks out in my mind, in a terrible direct hit hurricane, the lady of the house instructed her servants to open the bottom floor windows and doors. The storm surge flowed through while they sheltered upstairs.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I forgot to ask, did y’all ride in one of the Ducks? They are from WW2, go on land and water, it’s fun!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No duck ride. Didn't see any of them running either - may be a Covid thing. But, we didn't go up on the sea wall either...stayed mostly in the Strand area this time.

DS is so proud of his golf cart. He's got it licensed and street legal and has a bad a$$ sound system that he installed. We wouldn't dare look at another mode of transportation, lol! He just got a new trailer for it a couple weeks ago - using my 10% off discount at TSC.

Latest posts