Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good for rain, good for relish! 😊

Sadly this shooting, yet another!!, Was on news tonight. We all know it needs to stop. There must be a way....assault weapons need to be limited.

short of telling everyone to go back to home-schooling i don't see how you're going to stop it. if you have to make schools so safe that nobody can get in easily then they are all going to have to be built like prisons and then the nut jobs will just find another group to attack elsewhere. it's more of a mental issue than anything else. how do we redirect mentally ill people so that they will get help instead of taking it out on innocents?

and my own use of "nut jobs" isn't likely a good thing either. :(

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woke up at 3:30am as a huge t-storm hit us and we lost power simultaneously. Still out - thank goodness for a generator! We did NOT go out until this morning to start it. Don't need to waste gas while we were (trying to) sleep. BUT - absolutely needed coffee so had to fire it up.

Oops! Hope FedEX can get down the road today! I'm expecting a delivery.
1653482781580.png

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What the he// was I thinking? I had DH pick up some sale priced ground beef and some chicken legs/thighs today. I have very little beef canned so this will help. The chicken legs/thighs will be canned for chicken salad, or chicken soup/tacos/enchiladas and some will be for dog food. Heck I could use all of it for dog food because at .59 a lb - that's cheaper than their kibble. They love having some mixed in with their food.

Gardens are coming along. Bugs are awful. Squash bugs are making my life miserable. Black eye peas and red rippers are gorgeous - but haven't started producing yet. Come on! I'm getting dribbles of okra but it should really pick up soon enough.

DH and I need a break. Before Covid hit, when we were freshly retired, we had a plan to "do something" a couple times a month. We were going to alternate doing something that I wanted to do and the next time something that he wanted to do. We had a pact that we couldn't complain about what the other person picked. I knew at that point there were a lot of museums in my future, lol. But - we never got the chance. Now - two years later I think it's about time we try that again. I think he's picked a movie he wants us to go see tomorrow. Sounds good to me!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Gardens are coming along. Bugs are awful. Squash bugs are making my life miserable. Black eye peas and red rippers are gorgeous - but haven't started producing yet. Come on! I'm getting dribbles of okra but it should really pick up soon enough.

sorry the bugs are aweful. :( we're likely in for some interesting changes here this season because up until now we've not had many of the stinkbugs but they've really shown up in large numbers since last summer so i'm not sure how much of a problem they're going to be on the crops. we've always had squash bugs and squash borers - i just try to grow a mix of squash and usually some survive and produce and then i keep replanting those from their seeds to encourage the survivors.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, well, well. Imagine my surprise to walk out this morning and find more baby ducks. I thought mamas were being stubborn and sitting on eggs past the due date. Guess they fooled me! I think I saw at least 5 babies. I'll give it another day to see if anymore hatch and then I'll (try to) move mama and brood into the south garden. Everything in there is big enough that it won't be trampled and there's plenty of bugs/weeds for them to much on.

At some point I want to kick the original duck flock out to pasture - after they finish raising these babies. But, I need to resurrect the hot wire or wild critters will be having duck dinner instead of me. Since the goats aren't free ranging out there these days there's a bunch of honeysuckle and green briars having their way with the fence line.

It's time to arrange new living quarters for a few goats too. I've been trying for months to wean some babies - and saw at least one nursing through the fence this morning. ARGH! This is the stubborn-est batch of babies I've ever had....and the most determined/dedicated moms. Always something!

Supposed to have some rain this evening and it will be welcome for sure.