Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Whew...early morning if you stayed up as late as I did last night. DD is here and about 10:30 when everyone else went to bed we decided to have a cocktail. We discussed everything under the sun and I'm sure I remember discovering the meaning of life and solving all the world's problems. Only problem - I can't remember all our solutions this morning, lol!

I'll be doing some canning today.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've been given the opportunity to remember what wonderful exercise mowing with a push (yes people powered) mower is. It's awesome :rolleyes:. Belt on the big mower broke and DH can't change it with his back issues. So, I got the itty, bitty push mower out and put it to work. It was like.... all this? You want me to mow all this? Yep.

they bought a reel/spinning blade mower here and it was used once and that was it. way too much work. push mower is what we have now - i can tell how well i'm doing with my exercise levels by how i feel after mowing. if i feel beat up and worn out that means i've been taking it too easy. last week i mowed the entire remains of the grassy spots and didn't even feel like i had done anything so all those deep knee bends and jumpings to conclusions must have paid off. which brings a question to mind, once you've jumped to a conclusion how do you get off? is that what is called beyond the pail? (instead of pale)...... hmmm... i think i'll go sit on a weed and think about this some more. oh look a nice cloud... :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wasn't too terribly sad when the reel mower didn't come home because it's crazy hard to push. I was more mad about losing the money I spent. And besides - if I borrow something I make sure to take it back in a timely manner - and I always try to take it back in better shape than I borrowed it in. That might just mean that I clean it up.

I was running low on milk yesterday so I locked up some does overnight and they were more than happy to give me a new supply this morning in exchange for their breakfast. They're not giving a lot since they're about 8 months into their lactation, but it's enough for us. We don't always need a lot of milk unless I want to make cheese.

Today will be a kitchen day. I'm canning some ground beef and some Pozole. I'll probably process one of the giant squash for the dehydrator too. I'm kind of over the food prepping. My pantry is full. My freezers are full. I will continue to take care of garden produce but I'm not buying anything else to process unless it's something that I don't have and I can't think of anything at the moment.

The ground is so dry that all my fence/gate posts are loose. I went out this morning to an open garden gate. I rarely forget to close a gate - it's ingrained in me, lol. I closed it again, and then noticed that the post was loose so it wasn't catching very well. It's one of those U-shaped handles that lifts up and down. I tied it up with a piece of hay string, but I need to do something stronger and more permanent. ARGH! I'm so over this heat and drought.

Next trip to town I'll be on the hunt for rye grass seed. With the shortage/scarcity of hay I need to definitely get some seed put out. Don't usually plant until around October. Surely we'll have some rain by then. :fl

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:weee :weee IT'S OFFICIAL!!:weee :weee

Breeding season has started! Bossman and Ginger had a rendevous, lol. Due date: 01/05/23 (give or take a few days either way)

Canned some gr. beef and the leftover Pozole soup. Also processed one of the big squashes that had a 'bad spot.' Ended up with 6 trays in the dehydrator, a gallon bag of roasted squash and a good bit to the critters.

It's been a good day. Tired and about to kick back and read a few chapters.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Listening to Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising during my marathon canning sessions

going to have to re-read something today. probably start back in on The Lord of the Rings again since it's been about a year since i last read it. i like how my perspective changes as time goes on during re-reads of old favorites.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just made a quick trip to TSC and dang glad I did. I picked up 200 lbs of rye grass seed. I'm afraid it will be in short supply around here soon because of the hay shortage. Won't plant it until probably October-ish. Oh - and it needs to rain so it'll grow. Small, but important fact, lol. Looks like getting hay is going to be worse than sketchy this year. I have a few bales left and I'm going to be peeling hay off for them instead of letting them go at it free choice. (unless I can score some more)

DH is still suffering with his back - but at least it's marginally better. He's decided not to go to the pain management doc because he doesn't want the promised spinal injections. He called his Orthopedist back and requested to go straight to PT. Hopefully he can get that started fairly soon.

Nothing much else happening around here. Send rain!

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
MY weather person says something in gulf could strengthen and give you rain! Hope it does.
I hope your weather person isn't as big a liar as mine is, lol!

I saw something like that too. Who knows? But the talk around town is that it'll take something tropical to break this drought. :hu