Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
nekkid gardening month...
:ep Visions of sunburn in places you don't want to get sunburned, lol! :lol:

Radar is looking busy right now. We got stuff moving in from south of us in the bay....and more stuff heading in from the north. Looks like there might be a big collision right over me! Hallelujah, lol.

Just in case we actually do get some wetness from the sky (forgot what that stuff is called) I got some mowing done. Grass is crunchy... :(

Also filled up the 5 empty gas cans. Don't like 'em to be empty this time of year in the hopes... I mean in the off chance we might get a tropical weather system of some sorts.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:ep Visions of sunburn in places you don't want to get sunburned, lol! :lol:

hahaha! i fell asleep on the beach in FL once laying face down. the bottoms of my feet got sunburned. ouch!

Radar is looking busy right now. We got stuff moving in from south of us in the bay....and more stuff heading in from the north. Looks like there might be a big collision right over me! Hallelujah, lol.

Just in case we actually do get some wetness from the sky (forgot what that stuff is called) I got some mowing done. Grass is crunchy... :(

Also filled up the 5 empty gas cans. Don't like 'em to be empty this time of year in the hopes... I mean in the off chance we might get a tropical weather system of some sorts.

looks like it is happening! hope you don't get washed out! feast or phantom (is what Mom says but she really means feast or famine)...

good plan on the gas cans but hope you don't need them.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We've got wetness! Don't know how much cuz I think my rain gauge had a stroke or something, lol. I looked at it a while ago and I woulda swore it said .48....but now it says .28. The lower reading is more likely correct. I think I looked at it from the wrong angle earlier and got all excited. But, whatever it is - it's wet and I like it. Perfect timing for the beans I planted.

the bottoms of my feet got sunburned. ouch!
Oh my! That's horrible - I can't even imagine how uncomfortable that musta been!

I hope we don't need the generator for awhile but we're ready if so.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We've got wetness! Don't know how much cuz I think my rain gauge had a stroke or something, lol. I looked at it a while ago and I woulda swore it said .48....but now it says .28. The lower reading is more likely correct. I think I looked at it from the wrong angle earlier and got all excited. But, whatever it is - it's wet and I like it. Perfect timing for the beans I planted.

that's great! a few more rounds would be great. we've just been getting teased here from all these pop-up storms that are going east of us. i water on schedule until i see water hitting the ground as the forecasts are just guesses and percentages. until i see the drops hit the ground i don't count it as a done deal...

Oh my! That's horrible - I can't even imagine how uncomfortable that musta been!

i also burned the insides of my arms really bad so for about four days i mostly walked on my tiptoes and held my arms out like Frankenstein.

I hope we don't need the generator for awhile but we're ready if so.

:)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We got rain again last night, this time the power stayed on. Softer rain, thirsty ground soaked it all up. Wednesday night, sitting in the dark, hot, I could hear the neighbor’s whole house generator humming. Sure makes me think……. that I can’t afford one! 50% chance of rain for the next 10 days. I hope it holds off tomorrow, I have help to start moving. Today I’ll go work on making sure there are not any sheep or dog sized holes in the fence at the farm. I worked on that last weekend, stayed too long in the heat and it pretty well wiped me out for the week. With this rain, it looks like we are done with 100+ degree days!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
i also burned the insides of my arms really bad so for about four days i mostly walked on my tiptoes and held my arms out like Frankenstein.
That made me laugh out loud!

We got a solid half-inch of rain. Maybe more. I went upstairs at 9:30 and it was still raining. My electronic rain gauge resets at midnight so I don't know what the final tally was. I do know that we got nothing after midnight though because the gauge was at zero this morning. I hear rumblings now and the radar looks promising. This, along with the tropical system. is keeping rain in the forecast for the next 10 days or so. Woo Hoo! Maybe that'll make a dent in this drought.

I'm about to order muzzles for Karma and Raine. They've both decided that they want to be the boss and that's not going to work. Female dogs are horrible about fighting. They don't have problems when I'm outside - because I'm the boss then. But, they wait until I'm not there and go at it. It's been a couple weeks since they had an actual fight - until this morning. ARGH!

Other than that, nothing special on the agenda today.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm about to order muzzles for Karma and Raine. They've both decided that they want to be the boss and that's not going to work. Female dogs are horrible about fighting. They don't have problems when I'm outside - because I'm the boss then. But, they wait until I'm not there and go at it. It's been a couple weeks since they had an actual fight - until this morning. ARGH!
Females are the worst! There's a reason why b**** is a dirty word!

If you get muzzles, get the wire basket muzzles from leerburg.com. They have the best selection of sizes anywhere, and the prices are unbelievably low. Good small family business (local to me). When you measure for a muzzle, open their mouth all the way before you measure around their snout. This way you will get a muzzle that is safe for them to wear unsupervised - they MUST be able to pant and vomit while wearing a muzzle.

NO:
1660917755375.png

YES:
1660917774380.png

Introduce the muzzle as a treat container. Smear peanut butter or canned food on it until they are comfortable licking their muzzles. Then set the muzzle on the floor and put high value treats in it. When they see their muzzles and they start wagging their tails and getting excited, you're on the right track. The goal is for them to approach and stick their snout into the muzzle when they see it, and for them to act normal (not stressed) when they are on.

I'm a big fan of muzzle training for every dog.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you muzzle, also swap their water dish for a large bucket. They have to learn to submerge the muzzle to be able to drink water while wearing it. A water dish isn't deep enough.
We use a bucket outside. Lick-it bottles in their crates. Will change their inside water source to a deeper one. Karma is so funny - she always sticks half her head in the water bucket. I think she likes blowing bubbles. The muzzles won't be an always thing. Generally, we alternate letting them out so they won't need one then. Won't need 'em in their crates or at liberty in the house - separately. But, occasionally, just to make my life easier I want them to go out together. They'll wear muzzles then. When they are on a task they work together very well.

Also, if there is an authority figure with them, they don't even think about fighting. It can be me or Missy, the Anatolian. I took them out this morning and came back in the house for a moment to grab my coffee. Just that fast they were on each other. They were exceptionally hard to break up today. I didn't have any water to throw at them, so I was trying to grab Karma's tail. They were spinning so fast I almost never grabbed it! Stoopid dogs.

Latest posts