Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
A little over 4 years ago when the previous microwave died - I was determined NOT to replace it. DH didn't agree, lol. I made it about 6 weeks before he went to HD and bought one all by himself, lol.

But, honestly, I think food tastes better cooked the old fashioned way. Maybe just my imagination, but in the last 24 hours, using the stove instead of the MW I have come to that conclusion again. :hu
I agree with you, and my DH agrees with yours. Mine wouldn't last 6 weeks without a microwave. :gig

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I refuse to have a microwave over the stove. Ours was setup that way in Wyoming and I hated it. When making supper, why do I want to reach up over hot pans to use a microwave? Also, whenever I used the pressure canner, the fan on the microwave would turn itself on and run until I was done. Not enough clearace to use my big stock pot either. Just a nope for me. I will give up the counter space.
I usually only use my microwave to warm things up. And occasionally to precook baked potatoes - but I finish those off in the oven for 15 minutes, for some reason they taste better finished off in the oven.

DH's niece just bought a house and it has really nice appliances in it. Matching stainless oven, french door refrigerator, and microwave. She burnt cookies while we were there and her mom turned on the vent to get the burnt smell out while we left to get lunch. We got back and she was upset that it still smelled like burnt cookies - turns out her mom tossed the burnt cookies into the sink and left them there. I opened the window, tossed the cookies into the garbage, turned off the fan and explained to her that the vent on the microwave didn't vent outside. It has a couple of filters in it to remove grease and smells, but there is no direct connection to the outside - so the burnt smell was just getting blown back into the kitchen. Also told her to look up in the manual to see what filters it takes and showed her where to change them out.
Alot of people just assume that all fans over a stove go outside, but most of the "microwave over the stove" ones don't have venting outside at all. Alot of apartments don't have hoods that vent outside either.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I refuse to have a microwave over the stove.

I can see why you wouldn't enjoy that situation. I guess I'm tall enough that reaching up isn't a problem for me. Mine actually does vent to the outside. Goes through the wall into the utility room into a big flex-type metal tube thingy that leads to the outside wall. Strangely enough the vent fan on the dead microwave still works, lol.

Even though I'm ok with an over the range type - we bought a countertop this time. I'll be moving out the current toaster/convection oven and putting the new microwave in its space. I won't really be giving up a whole lot more counterspace than the toaster oven took up. I guess I'll use the one over the range for a bread box or something, lol.

Been spending some time every day in the garden. Got some spinach and swiss chard planted this morning. Planted some turnips yesterday. Never grown 'em before. I've eaten 'em a few times and I like 'em - at least the smaller ones. The bigger ones seemed to be a little bitter. If I don't like 'em I know the critters will.

Still have a lot more that I need to get planted. I'm waiting for my onion sets to be delivered. I think they're coming mid-November-ish. I'm impatient!

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
well, an occasional mug cake :hide . Surely that doesn't count!
I absolutely should not admit this....don't tell anybody ok? I just went to the kitchen and mixed up a mug cake and THEN I remembered I don't have a working microwave, lol! Ugh - so much for my sweet tooth tonight...

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I absolutely should not admit this....don't tell anybody ok? I just went to the kitchen and mixed up a mug cake and THEN I remembered I don't have a working microwave, lol! Ugh - so much for my sweet tooth tonight...
skillet cake!

I'm making myself hungry!