Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Whew - woke up to winter again. What the heck? But, it brought us some moisture and believe it or not, we need it. We've had over a half inch so far and nary a puddle anywhere. All soaking in nicely. (so far)

So glad that I moved a round bale for the critters yesterday. The original plan was to do it this morning. I'm wishing now that I would've bought a few more bales. I'm down to 4 including the one I just moved. I've been averaging 21 days per bale. A good week less than last year. Guess I shoulda sold more goats. Heck - I ALWAYS shoulda sold more goats, lol. Hopefully selling will commence within the next couple of weeks.

Started cutting up the pig yesterday. Had two crockpots going with lard. As soon as I have a little bite to eat I'll start cutting again. Separating into "to be ground," "to be canned" and "to be frozen." Already have some vacuum packed and in the freezer. It'll be a long day, but worth it if I get finished. I'll cut as long as my back holds out. I don't have permanent back problems but standing at the kitchen counter all day.... ugh. Frequent stretching breaks seem to help.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you have one of those stress mats on the floor!
I actually do have one and it helps immensely! Probably the only reason I've been able to stand there allllll day. Almost finished - just have one hindquarter to go and a couple of random pieces. I'm deboning everything right now just so it'll fit in my limited freezer space. I don't really want to look at it again for at least a couple weeks, lol.

Clouds moved away finally and we've had a sunny-ish afternoon. Supposed to get pretty nippy tonight. I've got chicks in the incubator that really want to get outside...few more days.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks!

It was a good time with GS. My GD also plays golf! She's a freshman and she made the varsity team!

DH will go in for an assessment in April. If these injections don't provide significant improvement, and so far they haven't, we'll investigate the next step.

one of my relatives has been having injections in their spine to kill off some nerves and says that it has been helping. the cost is pretty high and says they are glad to pay it (insurance is covering it now that they are over the deductible for the year) even if they might have to go back again for another round later. we'll see how this goes... i'm just glad they're getting some relief for even a while now as they are wanting to not keep taking the drugs to dull the pain and it's been a few years without much other relief at all.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks! I hope it helps too. He's had some marginal relief form the injection he had on Thursday. He's not had any prescription pain meds for months. He did have some muscle relaxers for awhile but has been out of them for months also. Pain doc suggested (and prescribed) more muscle relaxers for him. At least he can get some decent sleep with them. For pain he just takes Motrin. He's pretty anti-anything stronger for pain. He doesn't like that druggy feeling.

Gonna finish up that dang pig this morning but need to get the critters fed first. Been waiting out some light rain and now we get a sleet warning. SLEET? What the heck...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Gonna finish up that dang pig this morning but need to get the critters fed first. Been waiting out some light rain and now we get a sleet warning. SLEET? What the heck...

the ground and driveway were covered with snow this morning, 24F and windy with the driveway clear again because the sun has been out and melting things. a cool night tonight down to 21F and then back up later this week so whatever snow is on the ground will be gone again.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thank goodness we didn't have more than a few sleet pellets. Not much rain either. But it was cold all dang day. That's ok because I got that stupid pig finished.

We will be enjoying her tonight in the form of the tenderloins. You'd think that a big ol pig like that would have bigger tenderloins, but they're fairly small. The loins however are huge! She was a fairly long-bodied pig so she had a whole lot of loin on board. Rendering the last of the lard. Finally got totally OVER it and the rest will go out to feed whatever buzzard wants it, lol. Chickens will get a couple hunks before I toss the rest of it.

We're going to kick back and watch a movie tonight. I need some down time. Might enjoy an adult beverage while we're kickin' back too.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Thank goodness we didn't have more than a few sleet pellets. Not much rain either. But it was cold all dang day. That's ok because I got that stupid pig finished.

We will be enjoying her tonight in the form of the tenderloins. You'd think that a big ol pig like that would have bigger tenderloins, but they're fairly small. The loins however are huge! She was a fairly long-bodied pig so she had a whole lot of loin on board. Rendering the last of the lard. Finally got totally OVER it and the rest will go out to feed whatever buzzard wants it, lol. Chickens will get a couple hunks before I toss the rest of it.

We're going to kick back and watch a movie tonight. I need some down time. Might enjoy an adult beverage while we're kickin' back too.
You have been busy! That's work! My forecast is warming up for the next week. Hopefully yours looks better too!

Latest posts