Functional Fitness

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Accidentally ok. The Thai Chi and most any stretching like the Esmonde Technique (Maranda Esmonde-White) strengthens you while stretching using your own body weight. It can take most any beat up or out of shape body and make it more capable.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Accidentally ok. The Thai Chi and most any stretching like the Esmonde Technique (Maranda Esmonde-White) strengthens you while stretching using your own body weight. It can take most any beat up or out of shape body and make it more capable.
I hadn't heard of this one. Thanks for sharing! - I'm curious!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good discussion here. For me, I limp a lot, in pain from a knee that is beyond worn out and gone. Getting knee replacement surgery in another month. Working furiously to get moved to new farm, move sheep and dogs and be ready to be down awhile. Going from hospital to rehab for 2 weeks, get therapy every day. Then I’ll go as an outpatient for therapy. I’m highly motivated, I want my life back! Just gotta make it through the winter.

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@baymule You may want to check out the Esmonde technique. I got closed lined off a horse at a dead run once. Rebroke my shoulder blade and some ribs, not sure what all I broke I never went to the Dr. I just know about the shoulder blade because it wasn't the first time and my ribs were sticking out when I picked my arm up. It hurt like hel! for 3-4 years before I started the exercise's and my shoulder was always an inch low 2-3 when I did something to much.

Anyway after I started that it quite hurting (after months) and my shoulder stayed in place when over working it. For someone who can break bones and just stay around the campground get sowed up at home or well whatever and not see a Dr. It hurt a lot 4 yrs later.

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am not quite the person I once was, I have had two ruptured bicep tendons and one right knee ACL surgery, it is from 50 % dumbass and 50 % fighting..despite that I still train and run as well. I believe that cardio fitness is your best friend if something goes wrong.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can’t run. Many years of limping around and finally got knee replacement surgery in September of 2022, so not quite a year yet. I’m doing great, but still not much on running. I try to do a lot of walking. And I’ll be getting my exercise cleaning fence rows, tearing down old fence and building new fence this year.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
for back discs it really helps to warm up gently for a while first before doing any heavy lifting or bending. especially in the morning when they are stiff.