Functional Fitness

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Being adequately physically fit is a challenge for me. I can imagine in an emergency situation, I would be limited. What functional movements do you think are most important for activities of daily living in a SHTF situation?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH and I both have grip issues. As far as physical work goes, I am generally more able than him. However, he is good for a few minutes of pure brute strength. But he'll whine about it the next day, lol!

Stamina is important. I've always been pretty capable in that area. I had a scare several months back and got overheated while working on fencing. I was fairly close to finishing a job and kept pushing to get it done and ended up getting too hot. It threw me for a loop and greatly impacted my ability to withstand heat for the rest of the season.

At my age I think it's a case of use it or lose it.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My physical fitness is still not great, but is better than my usual. I accidently discovered and X-rated activity that is very good for my core and back strength and endurance. That's a workout plan I don't mind! :gig

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good discussion here. For me, I limp a lot, in pain from a knee that is beyond worn out and gone. Getting knee replacement surgery in another month. Working furiously to get moved to new farm, move sheep and dogs and be ready to be down awhile. Going from hospital to rehab for 2 weeks, get therapy every day. Then I’ll go as an outpatient for therapy. I’m highly motivated, I want my life back! Just gotta make it through the winter.

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am not quite the person I once was, I have had two ruptured bicep tendons and one right knee ACL surgery, it is from 50 % dumbass and 50 % fighting..despite that I still train and run as well. I believe that cardio fitness is your best friend if something goes wrong.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
At my age I think it's a case of use it or lose it.

we say "When you rest you rust." :)

i know about the heat being an issue. taking off extra weight really helps me for that. i still have a ways to go but i'm doing better this year than last year.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tai chi is a great way to get back into shape. You move slowly enough that you have time to back off before injury if a particular move will hurt too much. I've started up my Tai Chi again this month, although not as regularly as I'd like. Our house is too small for a decent form so I go to a friend's house and we do it together, but heavy snowfall has made it harder to get there

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Accidentally ok. The Thai Chi and most any stretching like the Esmonde Technique (Maranda Esmonde-White) strengthens you while stretching using your own body weight. It can take most any beat up or out of shape body and make it more capable.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Stamina is an issue for me.

I think grip strength is another area of concern for me, based on how many tasks I ask DH to do because my grip is not strong enough. I can't think of a specific functional goal right now.
Stamina I think is the right answer for our house. The wife can help for about 15-20 minutes, then wiped out for hours. Where I need help is food prep, forget the standing at the counter, just cutting up stuff takes its toll