Funny and sad at the same time.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Our home owners insurance is due soon, so, as we frequently do, we shop around for better rates. so, while hubby was awaiting a quote from one insurance comapny, they told him-- get this--we can't insure you because you have too many chickens.

:ep TOO MANY CHICKENS!!!!!!!

Unbelievable. They felt we have too many for personal use.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
"Personal use". Isn't that a bit naughty?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i think they might be blowing apart b/c they are afraid you are selling the eggs....

:-(

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
To many chickens?? How does that effect your ins???

I just renewed my HOI as well. I had to find a new company after I told the truth last year about my dog and trampoline. Well those items are no longer and issue, trampoline broke etc..

So this year when filling out the questionnaire they asked if we had exotic pets. I said no I just have lots of food. :p

The problem I have is slope issues and weeds. Crazy, I tell them every year the steepest slope I have is my yard and it was approved by my county when building.

They issued me a policy but still want to do an inspection. :barnie

Hopefully some lazy guy will drive up the drive and then turn around and go.

g

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
ummmmmmmmm, I wonder if my insurance company even knows I have chickens, rabbits, goats and a dog. Have had the policy for a million years and they just renew it. They never come out and inspect and they never ask any questions.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
2dream said:
ummmmmmmmm, I wonder if my insurance company even knows I have chickens, rabbits, goats and a dog. Have had the policy for a million years and they just renew it. They never come out and inspect and they never ask any questions.
Pretty much the same here. We've has the policy with them since 1999, and no visits or questions until last month, when they showed up to take photos of the house. When I asked them about it, they just said that it was a company thing now to have photos of all of the property that they insure. The didn't ask about or even seem to notice the chickens and the pig. Of course, this IS rural Arkansas. I guess those things are expected. :lol:

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am sitting here trying to make a link between having chickens and being uninsurable. The best I can do is: If you have chickens you may be selling eggs, which means you may have a business, which means people may come to your house to get eggs, which means that someone may fall (trip over a chicken) and sue you, which means the insurance company may have to pay out some of their vast resources. So if they were all roosters, would they insure you? :D

Latest posts