Funny and sad at the same time.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL
:yuckyuck

when a company sees 30--they might be seeing the future also. from 30 to 500....ya never know.
but each company has that 'list' and they stick to it.

OrganicKale

Power Conserver
Reaction score
OH yeah, you read about chicken fires all the time. Everyone knows that.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
FYI chickens are a fire hazard according to some insurance companies. Combustible...I kid you not. It's the combustion factor. A certain major ins. carrier will drop you over chickens. Supposedly lighting, dust, and bedding is the issue, it causes fires. I think there is a thread on BYC about someone getting dropped or rate hiked due to chickens. It was funny how the policy was worded though..something about combustible chickens made it sound like chickens were prone to blowing up spontaneously :lol:
That makes me feel like I need to take a couple of chickens camping with me to start fires. Just set 'em in a rock circle under a few twigs and wait :lol:

DesertChick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
gettinaclue said:
Wannabefree said:
FYI chickens are a fire hazard according to some insurance companies. Combustible...I kid you not. It's the combustion factor. A certain major ins. carrier will drop you over chickens. Supposedly lighting, dust, and bedding is the issue, it causes fires. I think there is a thread on BYC about someone getting dropped or rate hiked due to chickens. It was funny how the policy was worded though..something about combustible chickens made it sound like chickens were prone to blowing up spontaneously :lol:
That makes me feel like I need to take a couple of chickens camping with me to start fires. Just set 'em in a rock circle under a few twigs and wait :lol:
:yuckyuck X2

tinkarooni

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am a claims adjuster for an insurance company....wait don't shoot....I come in peace. :lol: OK, so you are all right about why the chickens are a problem, but having 30 and being a higher risk is sort of crazy. But anyway, if you are selling eggs and somebody gets sick from them and sues you your insurance will be on the hook that's their biggest concern. There is probably something in your homeowners policy that says operation of a business is not covered, however incidental businesses are covered. So 30 chickens is enough to get you sued, but not enough for them to deny you if you do get sued so they drop you. Aside from that. the chance of customers on your property is an issue.

I will tell you though that in 20 years of claims handling I will never forget that huge fire of '92 from the chickens combusting......:D......nah, just busting your chops.....I've never heard of such a thing although I guess the risk of a barn fire if you have electric for them is a concern.

I agree with the others, call around for other insurance. If the company I worked for....who also insures me.....ever asked how many chickens, turkeys and pigs I have I think I would just laugh my a$$ off. Let them come out and count them. Even I have lost track. :lol:

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's stuff like this that makes me think I will always have a mortgage. Because the second that sucker is paid off, I'd drop my HOI, because I'm like that.

Then, less than a year later, there would be a fire, because that is my luck.

I cut off my nose to spite my face, knowing full well the entire time what I'm doing.

Ah, well. We just refied, so the house payment now is reaalllyyy low. So there's that.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We never had problems with our HOI till hubs and I were hit by a car that ran a red light and then two other cars hit us and we hit a telephone pole. I have permanent back injury/nerve injury and they are paying for the medical costs... now it is -your one shed has a broken window fix or we drop you, your house paint looks dingy paint or we drop you... that metal shed in the back yard looks old and shabby it might fall down some day(it's the chicken house) tear it down now or we drop you..:he. Well that was the straw that broke the camels back.. had my neighbor who is a board certified contractor take a look and he wrote up an over view for the company-it is a stick built metal shed on a cement foundation that will likely be the only thing standing in our area if we ever get a tornado. Insurance says well it is still ugly but we will have to up your insurance just in case... by about $150 a year..:barnie Well what they didn't know is that we had just changed to another insurance which when bundled with our car insurance dropped our insurance(both together) by over $700! And it is better insurance than what we had... When I went down to sign the papers and finalize everything our new insurance lady asked about pets and I told her about the 30 or so chickens we have and she had to check on that ... it dropped our insurance another $70!:celebrate
Just enuf chickens so that my little outer shed with the chickens in it became agricultural and we got a better rate! Whoo HOO! thank goodness for living in the country surrounded by farms!

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Yep, it ws because he thought we had some sort of commercial operation going on. (30 Chickens!!!) REgardless of the fact that 18 chiklets are 8 weeks old, 1/2 male, two resident roosters and the rest of laying age, but some ready for retirement (aka freezer) His company was based out of Toronto though, so probably a city boy who doesn't know where his food comes from, or how it gets there.

Hubby chewed a piece off of him, after bieng on the phone for 45 minutes. Gah!!!! So the next brokerage he calls up,hubby says we have about 30 chickens, is that going to be a problem? and the other guy laughed.

Yeesh!!

well we are off to go look at a REAL FARM!!! 23 acres. Just imagine how many chickens I can have there. :p
You need to use chicken math.

The males don't count cuz they're going to freezer camp soon. The pullets that aren't laying yet don't count. So really, you only have, what, 3 chickens?