Funny and sad at the same time.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Haven't you read all those newspaper stories about the horrible chicken maulings on unsuspecting neighbors?!??!?! (me neither :D )

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Yep, it ws because he thought we had some sort of commercial operation going on. (30 Chickens!!!) REgardless of the fact that 18 chiklets are 8 weeks old, 1/2 male, two resident roosters and the rest of laying age, but some ready for retirement (aka freezer) His company was based out of Toronto though, so probably a city boy who doesn't know where his food comes from, or how it gets there.

Hubby chewed a piece off of him, after bieng on the phone for 45 minutes. Gah!!!! So the next brokerage he calls up,hubby says we have about 30 chickens, is that going to be a problem? and the other guy laughed.

Yeesh!!

well we are off to go look at a REAL FARM!!! 23 acres. Just imagine how many chickens I can have there. :p

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
30 chickens is a commercial operation? ohmigosh.. then i got me a huge industrial op going on!!! ha ha ha ha ha

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea that was my thought about it being a commercial operation on your property.

but 30?

geez they don't know real farmers do they. my 400 would have made him faint HAHA

my property ins. at my home covers my horse barns, fencing etc. I had about 50 goats on this property and my ins. knew. Of course I have Farmers Mutual Ins. HAHA

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have 14 ducks right now and more coming Saturday. I am a multinational conglomerate apparently.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We are in the process of looking for a new insurer. We questioned a $65 dollar extra and after getting multiple stories, they came clean and said it was because we were selling eggs - $6,000 worth a year. Ummmm . . . We have 16 hens and half of them are old, and the youngest ones are three. I sell less than $100/year. :rolleyes: I WISH they were laying golden eggs!

ETA WZ - You are going to give ConAgra a run for their money!

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
so lucky said:
I am sitting here trying to make a link between having chickens and being uninsurable. The best I can do is: If you have chickens you may be selling eggs, which means you may have a business, which means people may come to your house to get eggs, which means that someone may fall (trip over a chicken) and sue you, which means the insurance company may have to pay out some of their vast resources. So if they were all roosters, would they insure you? :D
I would say that is it exactly.

As for all roosters....I'm not sure most people can tell the difference between hens and roosters :lol:

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hoosier said:
We are in the process of looking for a new insurer. We questioned a $65 dollar extra and after getting multiple stories, they came clean and said it was because we were selling eggs - $6,000 worth a year. Ummmm . . . We have 16 hens and half of them are old, and the youngest ones are three. I sell less than $100/year. :rolleyes: I WISH they were laying golden eggs!

ETA WZ - You are going to give ConAgra a run for their money!
You should call around and see what other companies say. That much income from selling eggs is generally considered incidental and shouldn't effect anything.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FYI chickens are a fire hazard according to some insurance companies. Combustible...I kid you not. It's the combustion factor. A certain major ins. carrier will drop you over chickens. Supposedly lighting, dust, and bedding is the issue, it causes fires. I think there is a thread on BYC about someone getting dropped or rate hiked due to chickens. It was funny how the policy was worded though..something about combustible chickens made it sound like chickens were prone to blowing up spontaneously :lol: