Gardening 2011

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I need to start planning soon! I can put plants in the ground in late February/early March so I need to get busy. My garden is small, and L-shaped, so I need to plan better this year (and not plant so many different things).

1. More tomatoes - they did great last year and it's the one thing both of us like.

2. Vertical gardening - because my space is small I'm going to try and do more of this.

3. Container gardening - again because of limited "in the ground" space.

I've been adding lake gunk and compost over the last few months and the soil is starting to look like soil - not sand! Yipee!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just decided I'm going to put a couple tomatoes in containers just in case we have bad disease problems like last year. Maybe I'll put them in the front of the house where I'd like to have a garden anyway.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Today DH cleaned the garden off and tomorrow we will be taking the old fence down and getting ready to replace it. Soon DH will be turning it with the turn plow!!! Can't wait for spring! :weee

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Eek! Just placed an order with Baker Creek seeds. My basement is going to be full of little seedlings this spring. DH is going to help me build some sort of mouse proofing system. I'm not making this big an investment in seeds only to lose them to mice again! :barnie We are definitely going to need more space than we've ever used for veggies before. I may be begging my parents for some spare space at their house too! They have rabbits and deer though, something we never see here. That will be a whole new set of problems.
Oh, what have I done???? :ep

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
All my seeds have arrived!! A friend and I are organizing a gathering to share extra seeds with each other. I'm going to have plenty to share!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
You're welcome. I checked out the other one quickly. It's really cool too. I could spend hours.....