Gardening 2011

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My dh says were going to have to go after it with shovels. :woot Won't hat be fun. It did produce berries lat year. But has now gotten out of hand. I'm gona have to grin and bear it!! :rant

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Wear thick jeans and long sleeves and gloves and seriously, can you rent a goat? Borrow one from a friend? Goats can eat a huge blackberry bush down to a nub in one day.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My sil does have two pygmies. But they are known for escaping and standing on the hoods of cars. :D

I wonder if that mobile goat herder for weeds is still in business?

hummmm?????

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Yes, goats do that......:gig

You are listening to advice from someone whose three goats ate a whole baby apple tree orchard in one day. :gig

and four asian pears. :gig

:lol:

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Yikes! The first thing I'm planting this year for the new garden is fence posts!!
I just read on TEG that Comstock, Ferre & Co. has been bought out by Baker Creek and is reopened. We used to buy all our seeds there when I was a kid.
On a side note, I couldn't remember if my first ancestor in the US was from Wethersfield (where C&F is located) or Windsor, I looked it up. I ended up finding my family back 4 more generations that my father even knew about!!!! Back to about 1438! Holy cow....
Back to your gardening....
ETA: I just called them, they're open, they have seeds. I have Thursday OFF. I'm goin' seed shoppin'!!!! <list, must make list.....>

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
*Sigh* In fact... *Double sigh* Last year my gardening efforts paid off in the ex-boyfriend getting something like sixty some quarts of peppers and whatever he got of the corn, tomatoes and beans. I saw none of the harvest :(.
This year, I have no garden. I plan to use a few pots (or hell, icecream buckets or icing buckets from the bakerys) this year to do a few herbs and a few pepper plants. MIGHT do some tomato plants if I have the space and ambition, lol.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
*Sigh* In fact... *Double sigh* Last year my gardening efforts paid off in the ex-boyfriend getting something like sixty some quarts of peppers and whatever he got of the corn, tomatoes and beans. I saw none of the harvest :(.
This year, I have no garden. I plan to use a few pots (or hell, icecream buckets or icing buckets from the bakerys) this year to do a few herbs and a few pepper plants. MIGHT do some tomato plants if I have the space and ambition, lol.
I did quite a bit of container gardening last summer. I didn't do great keeping things watered so it wasn't the most successful venture for me. I used whatever I could find for containers too. The plants aren't all that fussy ;)

flossy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
flossy said:
Denim Deb, I live in New Zealand.

I forgot to add I planted 80 aspargus seeds in spring too. I know 80, that's gona be a lot of asparagus in 3 years, good thing even the kids like it!!!
Where about? I'd love to visit NZ some day.
We are from otago, about 2/3 of the way down the south island. It's really nice here, not too cold, not too hot. Pretty good for growing most things.

flossy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
Bettacreek said:
I did quite a bit of container gardening last summer. I didn't do great keeping things watered so it wasn't the most successful venture for me. I used whatever I could find for containers too. The plants aren't all that fussy ;)
I even have raspberries, stawberries and boysenberries growing in containers, they are growing berries like crazy. I agree that plants don't really care all that much. In the past I have grown peas and beans, espacially dwarf ones grow really well, and who doens't like fresh peas?!

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I'm a little hesitant to start planning this year. I need a major overhaul because I tend to get impatient and want to just plant stuff wherever it's easy. I need to actually sit down with paper and a pencil and PLAN exactly where I'm going to put stuff. It's overwhelming. :barnie