Gardening 2011

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
In gardening news, were gonna add some raised beds for onions, cucumbers, strawberries and other stuff. :D

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well the gardening news here is I ordered ALL of my seed. Planning the seed starting and the garden layout. My biggest thing is that when we was tearing down the old fence we decided to actually measure the garden,..it is 96' x 102' :ep ! I never realized! I figured this time I need to utilize the space better,... So I ordered over 20 different packs of seeds including all kinds of veggies, herbs , and also some flowers. I am also ordering red raspberry vines, strawberry plants, and grape vines. These will not be planted in the garden,.but will add to the overall SS of the place,..plus make some great wine when they begin to produce! :drool

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am officially in the garden. Yesterday I went over to sil old property and shoveled a small load of composted horse manure. Brought it home and amended 2, 4 x 8 ft beds. I also had enough to top off 1 2 x 8 ft bed.

I am not sure what I am planting. I really need to try and use the seeds I have. Which are plenty. I always need lettuce but can pick that up at anytime.

I also picked about a dozen big fat orange carrots. I had planted a 4 x 4 ft area in the fall. I think maybe late Sept. They look great. There are still quite a few out there and some beets as well.

Usually I try to pull all the weeds and get the beds ready. Then I should be able to put in some cool season stuff in a couple months.

g

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Cool Gina!! It will be a good long time before we can do anything like that here!
My new garden will be 9 3'x3' raised beds and my 2 3'x8' beds behind the garage. Not sure what I'll put in there. DS really really wants to grow watermelon but we don't have a lot of space!
I grew both beans and peas in large terra cotta pots last year. They did pretty well as long as I kept them watered. I'm not sure I got as good a yield as I might have if they were in the ground though. I grew lettuce and other greens in containers too. They did pretty well but again I think I didn't water enough.